News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

how wide is to wide?

Started by cba191, July 24, 2014, 09:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cba191

I'm looking at new panniers, and was looking for opinions. I need more lockable storage and more usable space. Is 39-40" too wide or should I sacrifice some capacity and stay around 36"?
'02 Tiger.  She's the awesome sauce

cba191

Spud

Depends on how much filtering you will be doing. I personally like a narrower set up I would be forever worrying who mirrors I just ripped off  :augie

What do you intend in carrying in them? Do you actually need that much space? 

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

cba191

I did 7500 miles in the 3 weeks to Alaska and back.  I decided that, although they look good, the factory bags are very limited.  Next summer will be a month to Maine and Nova Scotia, and back to Alaska for 5 weeks in 2016.  Going with the 28/35 setup I lose 17 Liters, but save 4 inches.  The smaller set is only about 35" wide.  I've never really filtered because it is kind of frowned on here.

NortonCharlie

I've got my Givi bags, 36 liter on the right and 46 on the left.  Set up looks wide as a truck from behind but it sure packs up nice.  I put the Triumph bags on the one I sold.  BTW, way easier to pick the bike up leaning on the wide bag than the factory ones, and the lids are way cheaper.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

KuzzinKenny

Checkout this site if yer lookin for BIG luggage..............

http://www.happy-trail.com/Triumph-Tiger-955/Aluminum-Panniers-Teton-Tiger-955.aspx

http://www.happy-trail.com/Triumph-Tiger-955/Aluminum-Top-Box-58-Liter-Tiger-955.aspx

http://metalmule.com/by-brand/triumph.html?triumph_models=239

mind an keep an eye on the bikes max weight limit !!

KK

ps i you can make yer own fittin kit..................

http://www.jesseluggage.com/
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

cba191

I don't do two up, so the weight limit is a non issue. Part of me wishes that the Girly was more common, so that there were more options. But I like not seeing them on every corner.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: cba191 on August 07, 2014, 01:37:30 AM
I don't do two up

I have heard of someone who removed the rear seat but kept the frame and built a top box to fit on it with a backrest, just another option !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

Is the Touratech cardboard in the mockup not just a little ironic :icon_scratch:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cba191

Perhaps, although I didn't order the touratechs. I ordered the globescouts. The box was from the racks.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on August 11, 2014, 11:49:53 PM
Is the Touratech cardboard in the mockup not just a little ironic :icon_scratch:

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

sailorcolin

This thread reminded me of this!

cba191

I love that vid.  I read somewhere that it was a motojournalist.  I had Jesses on my old F650.  I have snagged things before but never went down.  The new cases will only be about 1.5" wider per side than stock.  I think that the massively increased capacity will be nice.  Just a hair over 39".

I think they would look and work great on the old girl.

cba191

Finally got them installed.  I like 'em.

KuzzinKenny

Hey cba191 !! lookin good to me but i did have to scroll the bottom bar on the page from side to side to see them  :icon_eek: i really do need to get a widescreen monitor !!  :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

:thumbsup

KK