News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to me Steamer losing coolant

Started by El Pescador, July 31, 2014, 06:15:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Thank you all for your help!  I'll change the intakes...  Mustang do you still manufacture and sell the tool?  I had rather not pull the cam for only 2 shims. 

ram33

i found it was quicker tp remove one cam than to fiddle about with a tool. my shims were stuck solid to the bucket anyway and had to be prized up
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

threepot

If you can,remove cams. You'll be able to check guides. I found a crack in the upper guide on my Daytona. Worth putting a new chain in too. And check the tensioner.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

El Pescador

Everything back together now, it runs great, thanks for all of your help. 

I now know where I'm losing coolant, the bike pukes it out of the overflow.  I don't know if I just missed it sitting at lights, or what, but it happens when the bike is idling.

I removed the thermostat, and that has helped, but it just doesn't tolerate sitting idling in hot weather.  The PO put the fan on a switch, and I run it all the time when the bike is running, but still, the bike begins to overheat.  I'm going to try cleaning the radiator, but when I looked at it last, it looked pretty clean...

Any ideas?

Mustang

you NEED the thermostat . what happens without one is it will just keep getting hotter and hotter .

don't rely on the temp gauge to be accurate , they are not . you can buy three senders and all three will more than likely show different temps on the gauge . BTDT .

If you fill the overflow past the the min mark it WILL puke coolant every time until the level gets down .

It is perfectly normal for the gauge to peg into the red when sitting still . all steamers do it . If it bothers you try changing the sender in the head , you may get one that won't read as high .

El Pescador

Wow!  Thanks for the information.  I'll leave it be for now and get another thermostat on order.