News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Washers

Started by nickjtc, August 10, 2014, 10:17:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

So, all you learned Steamerphiles out there, a question.

Why would Triumph change from a trusty tab washer (left) to secure the engine sprocket, to a dome washer (right)? The parts guy at my local dealership insists that this is the correct replacement for the original.

Thoughts anyone?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

The 'dome'probably acts like a 'spring' washer? But why change something that works ??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

Is the domed washer also meant to be bent up to lock it? I've seen similar on other engines where this was done to reduce manufacturing costs but instructions were still that the edge should be bent up against the nut flat and locating point.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rf9rider

HeavyHustler

The dome washer is fine.  My '07 S3 has one and you just bend up the sides.  Some will bend 2 sides others may only bend 1.  I am also still using the original washer on the S3.  The Tiger still has it's original as well.  Both work fine.  No need to replace.

nickjtc

Shows how ignorant I was. I always thought that the idea with a dome washer was to tighten it under compression and that was what held things in place. But I suppose it will be possible to mount it so that the edges can be folded over a couple of the flats of the retaining bolt; just that there is less 'meat' folded over than with the original tab washer..

Sin_Tiger

Not ignorance, some are like that, just depends on the material and the manufacturing method. You can usually identify the "spring" steel type By the gunmetal Blue tinge that the material characteristically has.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 11, 2014, 01:07:04 PM
You can usually identify the "spring" steel type By the gunmetal Blue tinge that the material characteristically has.

That's good to know. Thanks.