News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is a Tiger Meet USA 201x7 worth doing?

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 13, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on February 17, 2015, 11:27:56 PM
Just giving this one a bump guys!  :wave

Is there still interest in this?  :^_^ Not ever having done anything on this scale before I understand there's a lot of forward planning & preparation that would need to be done! The possibility of meeting up with our fellow forum members from across the 'pond' is indeed something not to be missed!  :icon_cool:

I would definitely be up for this if given enough of a heads up to arrange annual leave & funding for it etc.  :icon_redface:

It would be without a doubt one hell of a memorable journey!  :wheel

Having attended every meet up since 2010, plus having had the good fortune to meet up with most of you guys, I couldn't think of any better company to share the experience with!  :notworthy

I'm on the last dash to finish my house off, one small bedroom and hall way to do. I want this done before spring get here so I can come out and boogie. Regards planning I have spoken to several companies that will ship bikes, the planning will not be such a problem as getting the money out of you tight arsed gits to pay for the container/shipping/shipper, that would have to be done in advance of the trip as a recent trip as some what depleted my funds.
we would have to have a way to pay for the shipping that everyone is happy with as the one shipper will put as many bikes in a tin can as possible. More bikes in the cheaper it would be for everyone.
Route planning no worries, going west keep the sun on your back am, pm put sunnies on and ride till your blind. West to east just reverse process.
Planning motto K.I.S.S.
If people only want one way shipping is everyone else happy with that can't see why, will that effect over all price ? don't know.
If there is a genuine interest I am happy to look into things, by genuine is there enough people prepared to part with their hard earned Wonga  :eusa_clap
My main concern obviously is being left with a container and erm no bikes  :ImaPoser  :nono

cheers Spud     :thumbsup

blacktiger

Quote from: Spud on March 07, 2015, 06:40:53 PM
Regards planning I have spoken to several companies that will ship bikes,

These http://www.motofreight.com/ are THE people to see. They used to be known as "James Cargo" and have an excellent reputation.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

mat-tiger1

How's about we pick this up over a pint or two at the Wales meet in July guys?  :occasion14
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

blacktiger

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on May 27, 2015, 10:20:46 AM
How's about we pick this up over a pint or two at the Wales meet in July guys?  :occasion14

I'm unable to go to Wales but am still interested in what you guys come up with over a few beers.  :occasion14
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: blacktiger on May 27, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
I'm unable to go to Wales but am still interested in what you guys come up with over a few beers.  :occasion14

:friday plans tend to go a bit  :tin hat
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

likewise, can't spare the time to organise it, but interested in going  :icon_lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

I hope to be there on Saturday so we can have a talk about a states trip. Organising that is dependent on whether you want a fully organised trip ie every booking done pre event for you or whether you want a more free flowing trip. A container is not hard to sort

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

mat-tiger1

Sounds like a plan Spud!  :thumbsup

Whatever we come up with between us as a consensus of opinion in Rhayader we can share on here with the guys that can't attend and thrash through the details after the fact. :icon_biggrin:

See you in Wales on Saturday!  :wave
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Spud

my idea would be ....

sort container everyone pays up front.

you all sort your own flights out because people will be going from different places.

pick bikes up and ride simples, now if people want accommodation booked for every night then that gets more difficult.

I prefer ride till I'm hungry then eat, ride till I'm tired then sleep

will do my utmost to be there may only be there late afternoon life's interfered  :icon_scratch:

Bixxer Bob

Sounds good Spud, keeps it nice and simple.  Folks will have to source a pallet for the bike if my experience of New Zealand is correct, but most dealers chuck away the ones from new bikes anyway so it should be easy enough.  The bike is strapped to the pallet, the pallet is screwed to the container floor.

Flights are down to the individual, accommodation on the road is - the movies would have you believe - straight forward, but maybe our friends over there can advise?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on July 01, 2015, 06:18:40 PM
.....accommodation on the road is - the movies would have you believe - straight forward, but maybe our friends over there can advise?

Indeed. All boils down to how much you want to spend. There are still 'deals' to be had if you want to credit card camp, usually with the Mum and Dad operations . Just stay away from the expensive chains, unless you have the cash and want to collect multiple use points.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Spud, did you go any further with investigations into rental bikes?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on July 01, 2015, 11:25:17 PM
Spud, did you go any further with investigations into rental bikes?

Rental bikes everywhere, would people be interested in "fly/ride" I can certainly look at my figures again  :icon_scratch: , but a container with 6/7 bikes in was a lot cheaper

the rental guys usual want dates pinned down numbers going ect they seem reluctant to give "ball park" figures

Spud

I'll chuck some figures together and get posted up, I've got man flu at the moment  :^_^  so I'm not doing to much running around

Spud

I have based rates on the following shipments:

1.     You will delivery your 6 Triumph Tiger motorcycles into our depot near Heathrow (We can also arrange collection if you prefer) where we will pack, ship to Los Angeles and clear through customs ready for you to fly in and collect from our LA depot (About 20 mins taxi ride from LAX).

2.     At the end of your trip you will then drop your 6 Triumph Tiger motorcycles into our New York depot (We can also arrange collection if you prefer) where we will pack, ship to UK and clear through customs ready for you to collect from our Felixstowe depot.

The price will £8097. This equates to £1350 per bike. If you had say 12 bikes to fill a 40' container I suspect the per bike price will fall to around £1195 per bike. (Please allow a transit time of approximately 5 weeks each way).

This includes packing, freight, fuel surcharges, documentation, handling and export/import clearances.

For temporary import into the U.S you will require prior approval from the EPA. This is a straightforward procedure and please see the instructions attached with this email.

We can also arrange insurance to cover loss or damage of your motorcycle during both the outbound and return transits. This is based on 2% of the bikes value + freight + 10%.

I hope this helps with your planning and please do let me know if you would like any further details at this stage.

This is an email of a shipping company here, just as a guide line

cheers Spud