News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is a Tiger Meet USA 201x7 worth doing?

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 13, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Ok just spoke to another company who can ship to LA for roughly 3k for a 20 foot container which would hold about 6 to 7 bikes then back from the East coast again for about 3 k so that would be 6k shared between 7 of us to you Sir about £860 per bike, you would need a Carnet of the RAC and cover your cost of your own flights and ex's whilst in the States. Oh dear I'm getting excited  :icon_lol:
If there was enough interested we could get a 40 foot container the price would go up but only by about a third. so say 14 bikes at about 8k return is to you Sir, about £571 shipping could be arranged from a central point ie Brum or Liverpool.
It may cost a little more say £200 ish for shipping a hazardous container ie bikes with batteries and some petrol in, but this would mean we get to LA meet the agent pick the bikes up and ride off.  :thumbsup

cheers Spud

Sin_Tiger

Well done Spud, plenty to chew over at the weekend.  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mat-tiger1

Quote from: Spud on July 02, 2015, 08:53:46 AM
Oh dear I'm getting excited  :icon_lol:

Me too!! :eusa_dance

See you on the weekend guys!!  :thumbsup
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Spud

don't get making a mess in your pants mate  :icon_redface:  lots to sort out need enough to fill a container

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Spud

will be speaking to a company called Lost Adventure about shipping and rental options and also James cargo

need an Idea of what routes you want to do Ie coast to coast ?

Spud

How about bike rental Orlando to L A in march for £1200 ish, ( that's just the bike rental)..... or I might be able to get 6 Tigers together in L A for rental.

blacktiger

Quote from: Spud on July 03, 2015, 09:45:41 AM
will be speaking to a company called Lost Adventure about shipping and rental options and also James cargo

James Cargo has morphed into Motofreight for shipping bikes. http://www.motofreight.com/ One of the directors from James Cargo set up the company alongside James Cargo just to look after the bike side of things.

Rental of a F800GS (Hell!!) at Eagle Riders will cost you $135 per day BEFORE you add on all the insurances. More if you want a bigger bike. Also the chances of actually getting what you want is remote of you're all booking at the same place. I'd want my own Tiger over there because it's all set up right for me.
It's normally acknowledged that it's cheaper to ship your own if you're going for more than three weeks.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Spud

any consensus over the weekend as to what people want to do

mat-tiger1

Hi Spud, :wave those that showed an interest over the weekend would prefer shipping their tigers across the pond rather than ride Harleys, etc. With LA as a starting point. (John Stenhouse already has a steamer stored over there somewhere)

Must admit, take up from the guys that attended was quite low, from memory only John Stenhouse, Nickcalne, Sintiger & myself showing an interest. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here guys as I didn't manage to get to speak to everyone who attended.)

If we can firm up on who is a definate for this then tentative plans could be made? Personally, shipping ready to roll at the other end would be my preference with dates to suit the majority. Not too fussed about a coast to coast (although that does sound good!) But would be happy to take in some of magnificent roads over there that perhaps our forum buddy's could suggest (or maybe even ride along with us?)

What about the rest of you guys?  :^_^
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

John Stenhouse

Yep, I'm in but as Mat Tiger says not shipping as I have one there and will use that. Would need to be a west coast start for me as my bike is in Vancouver.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

blacktiger

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on July 06, 2015, 10:36:44 AM
Must admit, take up from the guys that attended was quite low, from memory only John Stenhouse, Nickcalne, Sintiger & myself showing an interest. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here guys as I didn't manage to get to speak to everyone who attended.)

And me.
As I plan to be retired by then, dates shouldn't be too much of a problem. Although part of retirement could be moving to Spain, so a house purchase could put a spanner in the works.
If I do go I might well extend my visit beyond what you lot are considering.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Spud

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on July 06, 2015, 10:36:44 AM
Hi Spud, :wave those that showed an interest over the weekend would prefer shipping their tigers across the pond rather than ride Harleys, etc. With LA as a starting point. (John Stenhouse already has a steamer stored over there somewhere)

If we can firm up on who is a definate for this then tentative plans could be made? Personally, shipping ready to roll at the other end would be my preference with dates to suit the majority. Not too fussed about a coast to coast (although that does sound good!) But would be happy to take in some of magnificent roads over there that perhaps our forum buddy's could suggest (or maybe even ride along with us?)

What about the rest of you guys?  :^_^

Ok I will get some prices to and from LA

cheers Spud

Mustang

Would it not be cheaper to ship to east coast vs west from UK ?

and the best motorcycle roads are east of the mississippi river .............................

nickjtc

Quote from: Mustang on July 06, 2015, 06:39:30 PM
and the best motorcycle roads are east of the mississippi river .............................

Erm, unless you are in the Pacific north west of the US, or British Columbia, of course.... :icon_wink: :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"