News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is a Tiger Meet USA 201x7 worth doing?

Started by Bixxer Bob, August 13, 2014, 09:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Right, there was a suggestion that some of the UK guys would like to go to the USA for the 2016 meet.  This thread is to discuss whether it would be doable, where to go, logistics etc.  Off -topic posts will be deleted without warning.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

To throw in my comments from earlier, the BSA/Triumph UK club do an overseas jaunt every two years. they do it by organising a 40 container and filling it with previously lashed-down bikes then shipping it to the destination.  Everyone flies out, gets their bike does the ride and then the reverse coming back.  They are bikeless for about 6-8 weeks either side of the trip to allow for shipping.  I could get a lot of the information on the "how" and "cost" from my contact in the club if there's enough interest to make it worth my time.

My suggestion, and mainly because I've been there and it's just about the closest, is New England.  And we could all go visit Mustang!

Over to y'all....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

And at risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, this is a huge continent. You will not be able to see everything so it would be best to get consensus on which part you all want to focus on. Presumably the less shipping distance the less the cost....?? If you come to the east and want to head to the west (and assuming you are not Iron Butt types) you should allow a month, especially if you are going to have to return to the point of arrival.

And don't discount the great white north, aka Canada. I'm biased, of course.  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Hemibee

Quote from: nickjtc on August 13, 2014, 09:53:30 PM
And at risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, this is a huge continent. You will not be able to see everything so it would be best to get consensus on which part you all want to focus on.

That was what I was thinking too.  Get an idea of what you want to see and then explore the options on getting there.
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

Nick Calne

Well the East coast is probably much more achievable in every way. Shall we start with that?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on August 13, 2014, 11:41:11 PM
Well the East coast is probably much more achievable in every way. Shall we start with that?

And then maybe us west coast and northern types can plan to meet up with you somewhere in between...???

Spud

I'm up for it   :thumbsup

Thank you for your phone call earlier.

I have based rates on the following shipments:

1.     You will delivery your 6 Triumph Tiger motorcycles into our depot near Heathrow (We can also arrange collection if you prefer) where we will pack, ship to Los Angeles and clear through customs ready for you to fly in and collect from our LA depot (About 20 mins taxi ride from LAX).

2.     At the end of your trip you will then drop your 6 Triumph Tiger motorcycles into our New York depot (We can also arrange collection if you prefer) where we will pack, ship to UK and clear through customs ready for you to collect from our Felixstowe depot.

The price will £8097. This equates to £1350 per bike. If you had say 12 bikes to fill a 40' container I suspect the per bike price will fall to around £1195 per bike. (Please allow a transit time of approximately 5 weeks each way).

This includes packing, freight, fuel surcharges, documentation, handling and export/import clearances.

For temporary import into the U.S you will require prior approval from the EPA. This is a straightforward procedure and please see the instructions attached with this email.

We can also arrange insurance to cover loss or damage of your motorcycle during both the outbound and return transits. This is based on 2% of the bikes value + freight + 10%.

I hope this helps with your planning and please do let me know if you would like any further details at this stage.

This is an email of a shipping company here, just as a guide line

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

nickjtc

Arriving on one coast and departing on the other is a good idea.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Spud

Ok just spoke to another company who can ship to LA for roughly 3k for a 20 foot container which would hold about 6 to 7 bikes then back from the East coast again for about 3 k so that would be 6k shared between 7 of us to you Sir about £860 per bike, you would need a Carnet of the RAC and cover your cost of your own flights and ex's whilst in the States. Oh dear I'm getting excited  :icon_lol:
If there was enough interested we could get a 40 foot container the price would go up but only by about a third. so say 14 bikes at about 8k return is to you Sir, about £571 shipping could be arranged from a central point ie Brum or Liverpool.
It may cost a little more say £200 ish for shipping a hazardous container ie bikes with batteries and some petrol in, but this would mean we get to LA meet the agent pick the bikes up and ride off.  :thumbsup

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Spud, good work.  I think the BEEZumph trip to New Zealand ran at about £750 per bike in a forty footer so the prices are about right and quickly works out cheaper than bike hire.   I like the plan to ride right across the USA, it would give Tiger owners over there the chance to meet up with us if they wish.  I'm in.

Nick Calne

There are companies that allow you to hire a bike (including a range of tigers) on one side of the states and drop it off on the other.  Have a look...

http://www.eaglerider.com/vehicle-accessories.aspx?ComponentID=24292
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Spud

Chris Canning

Fair play to you if you go I've thought about it for years when faced with the reality not for me.

Bixxer Bob

I think I know what you mean Chris,  it could be a lot like off-shore sailing.  Everyone thinks it's a fantastic thing to do, but the reality is somewhat different.

There's the exited anticipation before the event, the buzz as you get the bike / boat ready, the leaving with loads of wannabees looking on - which is fun - the endless hours of exhaustion, boredom, lack of sleep, rain, cold, rain, heat, rain, the arriving with loads of wannabees looking on - which is fun- the cleaning of the boat / bike  the endlessly recounting the good bits -and the bad bits - over a beer etc etc.....

Accepting, of course, that the road trip has scenery whereas the ocean is just the ocean except when it's mountainous, then it's effing frightening :bug_eye