News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Camp it up

Started by Sin_Tiger, August 24, 2014, 09:26:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Quotei got the 2 man but should have got the 3, forgot how much space bike gear takes up  

Prompted by KK's recent post and to prevent my usual OT ramble, what are your various experiences and opinions on tents?

The one I have is a Vango two man, currently on loan to a friend who is somewhere neara Russian border. It's good and big enough for most things although I'd like a bit more vestibule space.

I like the Slumit for speed and ease of deploying and decamping and it's very reasonably priced compared to a most. I may have to pick your brains KK as I can't seem to find stockists to get a proper eyeball.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Nick Calne

Somewhere near a Russian border? Not the Ukrainian one I hope!

In my limited experience of bike camping I'd say the key points would be...

Ease of putting it up - when you are tired after a long ride you don't want faff.

What shape/size it is when it is packed on the bike. I reckon longer, slimmer packs are better than more cubic ones.

Lastly I do think you are right, vestibule space. A big space to put boots, helmets, panniers, soft luggage etc.  There is never enough space here and you dont want all that in the main compartment. Bike clothing is also really bulky and it needs somewhere to go when it is wet.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

....something like the mototent by lone rider. Just don't put your bike in the tent!  :icon_eek:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 24, 2014, 09:26:45 AM
Quotei got the 2 man but should have got the 3, forgot how much space bike gear takes up 

Prompted by KK's recent post and to prevent my usual OT ramble, what are your various experiences and opinions on tents?

The one I have is a Vango two man, currently on loan to a friend who is somewhere neara Russian border. It's good and big enough for most things although I'd like a bit more vestibule space.

I like the Slumit for speed and ease of deploying and decamping and it's very reasonably priced compared to a most. I may have to pick your brains KK as I can't seem to find stockists to get a proper eyeball.

Hey Sin_Tiger !! as far as i know, Slumit only sell direct or off fleabay but i have been proven wrong in the past many, many, many times !!  :icon_rolleyes:

i likey it but i've only used it a few times  :icon_cry:

KK

ps you do know you've just started another CAMPING thread  :bug_eye  :ImaPoser
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: KuzzinKenny on August 24, 2014, 10:37:51 PM
Hey Sin_Tiger !! as far as i know, Slumit only sell direct or off fleabay but i have been proven wrong in the past many, many, many times !!  :icon_rolleyes:

i likey it but i've only used it a few times  :icon_cry:

KK

ps you do know you've just started another CAMPING thread  :bug_eye  :ImaPoser

I think you're not wrong this time.

+1 on Nicks comments. I it really as easy as they make it out to be in the video?

I apologise for entering into your area of expertise with Camping, I'll keep the Village People out of it for now then  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

SilverTiger

Sin, when the wife and I go on long tours we take one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Coastline-Plus-Three-Tent/dp/B0030BG9QA
I got ours on eBay a couple of years ago for 80 quid. Loads of room in the sleeping area, reasonable height and huge porch area for your kit. It kept us and our stuff dry when it peed down for two days solid while camping on Lake Garda. I strap it to a rack which I fixed onto the lid of the top box.
2006 silver Triumph Tiger 955i
1975 Triumph Bonneville T140
1972 Kawasaki 500 H1B - now restored, very orange
1999 Yamaha R1 - bought new

John Stenhouse

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 25, 2014, 11:25:38 AM
Is it really as easy as they make it out to be in the video?

I have a Khyam with that system Sin and it is a as easy as that vid
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Sin_Tiger

Thanks John. That's the one MotoOzarks.

It's a while since I did any research on this but I did read about the Khyam connection, it was a lot more expensive though and I recall reading that it wasn't in production anymore.

The Singaporean Lady doing the Lee Na on the Mongol Rally that I helped, prepared the bike for and lent some of my gear to can be followed on that FB link, prepare to wade through a good deal of other posts and dog and cat video links to get to the real stuff on the trip. She does have a good eye for a photo and there are some interesting pics and info.

Sin_Tiger

I like the Tentsile idea but the problem will be carrying three trees around with you  :icon_lol:

Bixxer Bob

I don't camp much anymore, but when I do it's generally a cheap Aldi or Lidl 2-man special. Cheap aschips and if it rains I just throw the thing in the bin as I leave the site.

Works for TT and the like, not such a good approach for touring though  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

Quote from: SilverTiger on August 25, 2014, 12:04:11 PM
Sin, when the wife and I go on long tours we take one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coleman-Coastline-Plus-Three-Tent/dp/B0030BG9QA
I got ours on eBay a couple of years ago for 80 quid. Loads of room in the sleeping area, reasonable height and huge porch area for your kit. It kept us and our stuff dry when it peed down for two days solid while camping on Lake Garda. I strap it to a rack which I fixed onto the lid of the top box.

I use the two man version, excellent tent for the money £70, leave the inner and outer together and it's quite quick to put up and take down.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

HockleyBoy

I use the Vango Tempest 300

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-tempest-300-3-berth-tent-p139967

Very easy/quick to put up and also small and light. Wouldn't but smaller than the 3 man version though.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

KuzzinKenny

These are worth a looky ............

http://www.deltagroundanchors.co.uk/home/Product_Ordering

see what you've started Sin_Tiger  :icon_rolleyes: :icon_lol:

KK

ps i got the nylon composite ones  :thumbsup
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Sin_Tiger

:icon_redface: true but in my defense there's some good stuff here in the way of feedback.