News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tears as big as sheep turds are rolling down my face or Leaking Fuel Tank Blues

Started by ssevy, August 25, 2014, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

My daughter woke me with these dreaded words:  "Hey Dad, there is a really strong gasoline smell in the garage". Having just ridden a beautiful and trouble free 330 miles the previous day, this was not something I was expecting to hear.
Suffice it to say the plastic welding on my petcock area is separating after about 2500 miles of use. I took the tank back to the body shop today, and they are going to contact their plastic welder supplier and see if there are other options. It could be the rods were not the correct plastic, as we guessed polyethylene based upon the Acerbis website. It could also need more heat to bond microscopically. The kid doing the job was very cautious not to over heat the job and mess up the paint.
Wait and see right now.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

nickjtc

In years to come you will smile over the stories that can tell about your beloved motorcycle..... :icon_lol:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

:icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :BangHead Is yours the metallic red or the plain red, I forget which is which?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I believe it is called pimento red. It is really bright (unlike its owner)

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on August 26, 2014, 12:08:17 AM
I believe it is called pimento red. It is really bright (unlike its owner)

Now, now. Be nice to yourself. Everybody knows that pimento red is the only colour worth having. :icon_lol:

Nick Calne

Is it not easier to find one on ebay and respray to the right colour??
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ssevy

I am just concerned that with the known swelling from ethanol that I will just be buying someone else's headache. If I have to, I'll buy new. Since I paid $2500 for the bike, but was willing to go $3500 with accessories, I guess it is all a wash. This is my dream bike, and I have about $4000 total in it right now. Where else could I buy what I reallycwant for this kind of money?

Nick Calne

Couldn't agree more, steamers are great.  I could have any bike I like, but I like the one I have.

In the 4 or 5 years of steamer ownership I've had, I have learned that having a spare everything is pretty much  essential.  Better spend £50 on a spare tank or whatever now than to lose some of the summer!

Worry about paint and finish in February whens it's snowing!

I have a spare tank or two in the loft that you borrow if you are really stuck!

Sin_Tiger

I asked about the colour as I have one of each in the loft, no I don't share the loft with NickC but I do love my Steamers just the same. If you decide to go that route and don't have any luck finding one. National-Triumph are great suppliers and I'm sure they could work something out with shipping for you. Likewise if you get stuck, one of us will work something out to get you on the road again.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

Thanks for your generous offers everyone! Shipping from the UK across the pond sounds like a pain, but maybe I am wrong? There are some pretty ugly ones stateside, but I will wait until I hear back from the body shop before I invest in a second tank. Seems to me the proper plastic welded at the proper temperature should be a permanent fix. The only thing that may be an issue is whether years of holding gasoline may have contaminated the actual plastic itself so that there will be no way to obtain a perfect weld? If that is the case, I still want to try my machined inner plate fix first, since the tank is essentially useless otherwise.
Will keep you posted.

nickjtc

Quote from: ssevy on August 27, 2014, 08:31:25 PM
I still want to try my machined inner plate fix first, since the tank is essentially useless otherwise.
Will keep you posted.

This is interesting. Please do.

Nick Calne

Sooner or later one of us is going to get pissed off with spinning captive nuts and leaks and build an aluminium tank.

Sin_Tiger

I recently spoke to a man who makes custom alloy tanks about making a copy in alloy. He just looked at me like I'd grown a second head  :bug_eye

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on August 28, 2014, 12:45:06 AM
I recently spoke to a man who makes custom alloy tanks about making a copy in alloy. He just looked at me like I'd grown a second head  :bug_eye

Now that would be really nice. A bit problematical fixing the fairing bits and bobs to it, perhaps, but it would solve the problem of expansion. At what price, however???