News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tears as big as sheep turds are rolling down my face or Leaking Fuel Tank Blues

Started by ssevy, August 25, 2014, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssevy

Yeah, especially since the wood stove is nearby😳
Thanks Sin!
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

A friend went to starthis Steamer after being laid up for a couple of months.  It wouldn't start so he got the local dealer (who is trustworthy) to pick it up.  Turns out it had roughly three pints of petrol in the crankcase........  (as well as the oil.  Obviously.)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

threepot

Bob,another benefit of fitting a crank breather? I've done mine.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on January 03, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
Bob,another benefit of fitting a crank breather? I've done mine.

Just curious: what would be the benefit?
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

Quote from: nickjtc on January 03, 2017, 05:30:51 PM

Just curious: what would be the benefit?

No risk of petrol getting into engine,as no need for breather pipe from Airbox. Also,gasses produced in the engine are apparently toxic,and corrosive? And are better out,rather than re circulated?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

I don't know how it got there to be honest TP,  and can't readily think of how three pints would find it's way down even over a few weeks.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: threepot on January 03, 2017, 03:11:23 PM
........fitting a crank breather? I've done mine.
I would like some more info about this if you don't mind.

threepot

I bought a motorcycle crank breather on eBay. Disconnect the breather pipe from the bottom front of the airbox,and plug it. Then cut the pipe a few inches above the clutch cover. I used a small length of copper pipe to connect the filter to the pipe. I'll post a photo tomorrow.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

Disconnected it earlier. Just a slight deposit of white sludge,and a small amount of water? Breather was still clear.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

I'm guessing there wasn't enough space to fit it directly onto the clutch cover spigot? i.e. without the pipe.

I'm also guessing you used 15mm copper tube, so what size breather did you order Mark?  :icon_study:  :ear

threepot

Quote from: JayDub on January 05, 2017, 09:35:24 PM
I'm guessing there wasn't enough space to fit it directly onto the clutch cover spigot? i.e. without the pipe.

I'm also guessing you used 15mm copper tube, so what size breather did you order Mark?  :icon_study:  :ear
I'll measure the dia JD. But it fits straight on to 15mm pipe. Probably available to fit straight over spigot?Widely available on eBay.
It wouldn't fit straight on,but I read that it should be positioned away from the crankcase to prevent oil mist leakage??
My only concern is water/condensation seeping back into engine? Probably get that with the stock set up? Maybe best to position breather so it points 'down'?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

No need to measure Mark - I'm just being lazy now, I can measure mine :icon_rolleyes:
QuoteI read that it should be positioned away from the crankcase to prevent oil mist leakage??
-- dunno how that works... maybe it goes off into the atmosphere rather than settling on the nearby surfaces :icon_wink:
pointing down sounds OK, I would imagine any condensation would be burned off through the intakes on the stock set-up.

Sin_Tiger

If you're worried you could always route it higher near the intake.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

I read somewhere that the pipe should be removed from the bottom of the airbox to clean any 'sludge' build up,as part of general maintenance.
95 Super111
96 Tiger