News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tears as big as sheep turds are rolling down my face or Leaking Fuel Tank Blues

Started by ssevy, August 25, 2014, 10:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on January 06, 2017, 05:24:18 PM
I read somewhere that the pipe should be removed from the bottom of the airbox to clean any 'sludge' build up,as part of general maintenance.

:iagree
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

ssevy

Update:

Well, I got 5 years out of the repair, so it was worth the money I guess.
I've just had three fantastic days of riding this past week, over 1100 miles total, and the bike was flawless. It has been sweating a bit of fuel out around the petcock repair area, but not enough to drip.
That all changed yesterday, as I checked and snugged up the mounting bolts again, but now I can see the fuel is coming out of the nylon weld area itself, so the jig is up! A new tank is just over $1000, but I just rebuilt the engine and it is otherwise awesome, so there is no way I am going to abandon it now.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

ssevy

I called Hermys and they will contact Triumph in England to see if they are still available, but it looks like that may be a big no.
I may have to try some of my creative engineering again (oh boy!)

Mustang

ssevy

Just to be sure, I removed the petcock  and remounted it with an impregnated cork/rubber gasket using some Hi Tack, and replaced the Teflon tape on the threaded valve with Blue Hylomar.
I put some fuel in the tank and put a clean paper towel underneath.
So far, so good.
Fingers (and eyes) crossed!

ssevy

Filled the tank completely full and went for a 150 mile ride late this afternoon. No leaking!
When I took the Pingel mounting block off last week, I noticed the plastic mounting area wasn't perfectly flat, and the mounting block could open up a gap at one end if the other was over tightened. The body shop that did the repair actually mounted the Pingel the first time, using a thinner gasket, and I think the thicker gasket I am using now will seal both ends better. The Teflon tape may not have been the best choice either. Hopefully the Blue Hylomar will seal the petcock threads better this time.

ssevy

I just rode another 750 miles over the weekend, and still no leaking, so I think it was the gasket.
This means the nylon welding the body shop did for me is still a good option for repairing these (very scarce) fuel tanks.

Chris Canning

It is still possible to buy a new tank and ironically the price varies depending on the colour.... just be sitting down when looking at the price.

worldoftriumph.com