News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Road noise

Started by Boo, September 02, 2014, 09:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

06 Tigger with michelin Anakee 3 tyres, 8,000 miles on them so far. They are on their last legs now, but have been very good so far so no complaints there. However, they do make a lot of road noise. Is this typical of the Michelins or os it just a natural thing with the Tigger? Some road surfaces are worse than others and the noise seems to come up from between the tank and fairing. Maybe it's just the front one? I don't know. Anyone else have this problem?

sailorcolin

I will say that the road conditions make a big difference in the noise but I do have a set of michelin tires and they are way noiser than my Dunlop on my other bike.

Stitch

Is the tread even? High/low spots of the tread create noise. I don't have as many miles on my 3's but am developing a "wear" pattern which will eventually create noise. My Anakee 2s at time of replacement had a bunch and generated a fair amount. Curious to see what they are like at 8k...post a picture?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Bixxer Bob

You WILL notice the improvement if you fit road tyres; noise, handling everything.  Honest.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Boo

Unfortunately I somehow cannot send a piccy, plus my camera and seat combination is non compatible. In other words, the camera slipped off the seat last week, now I need a new camera :icon_redface: At 8000 miles they have started to to wear VERY square in the middle, despite my best efforts on the Stelvio Pass last week. Rear tyre could go for another 2000 miles but the front is only good for another 1000 at the most.
Cornering on them is still top notch and I would definately recommend them for road use, except for the noise. I was just wondering if it was just my tyres or if it was particular to Tiggers?

Boo

Quote from: Stitch on September 03, 2014, 05:08:44 AM
Is the tread even? High/low spots of the tread create noise. I don't have as many miles on my 3's but am developing a "wear" pattern which will eventually create noise. My Anakee 2s at time of replacement had a bunch and generated a fair amount. Curious to see what they are like at 8k...post a picture?
Although mine are wearing square, they are very even .   Sounds like you may benefit from wheel balancing. It's an old trick that is nearly always overlooked and is very underrated. Give it a go.

KuzzinKenny

Hey Boo !! if ya look at yer tyre from the side it might not look round but stepped, as far as i know its to do with the tyre tread blocks, when ya brake hard the block squashes back so the front edge gets worn more causin the rear part of the block to do the work when it rollin and that can make the noise,  :icon_confused: :icon_scratch:

hope that makes sense  :icon_biggrin:

KK 
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

HockleyBoy

On my second set of Anakee IIIs and personally I dont find them any noisier than any othe tyre I have tried on my Tigers (Full face helmet and ear plugs to reduce wind noise). They are definitely the best tyre I have tried, wet and dry grip/braking are excellent and in fact better than many tyres I have tried on my sports bike.

They seem to wear much better than Anakee IIs and do not square off nearly so quickly, I fitted the latest set around 6 weeks ago and have covered 6K on them and they still look like new.

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

KuzzinKenny

Hey Boo !! scratch my last post, just checked out what  Anakee III's look like  :icon_eek:

they're more like cut slicks than dual sport tyres  :icon_eek:

so as  HockleyBoy has pointed out, its probably not the tyres !!

just a thought, find a quiet road, take the mirror heads off and go for a test ride, if that fixed it get mirror extenders, if its just the same, refit mirrors and start  :icon_scratch:

KK

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

NortonCharlie

I had some front wheel bearings get pretty noisy, could feel a little buzzing in the bars too.  Sounds a lot like noisy tires.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Boo

No worries. It is definately the tyres making the noise. I was just wondering if it was either the wear on them @ 8000 miles or it was peculiar to the Tigger. Seems it is not just mine but the norm on the Anakee 111's. Front is now starting to get a liking for the white lines and overbanding. Not done bad for a heavy bike and the grip is good. Will seriously considder another pair very soon.

Spud

My 111's have well in access of 6k on them and are still looking pretty good plenty of wear on them remaining, seem to be lasting longer then the 11's I used to have on. Not noticed any more noise off them.

cheers Spud  :thumbsup