News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Spark plug removal

Started by PeteH, September 07, 2014, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeteH

Some engineering solutions looked for here, my son has been servicing my daughters x reg Fiesta and came upon a problem plug, ie siezed.... the hex head is completely rounded off even with the proper plug socket being used and then the ceramic broke. We eventually managed to remove all the ceramic to leave just a hole, have sprayed the area with WD and it appeared to disappear so im thinging its moved enough to break the seat. Im now toying with going down the `easy out`route but dont fancy one breaking in the hole :nono

Any other suggestions would be appreciated
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Chris Canning

You can buy a Snap on tool that's used on car wheels nuts when owners have lost the adaptor socket for taking them off and if you look there are several similar sockets that will bite on dodgy nuts,assuming there's enough room to get it down.

KuzzinKenny

Hey PeteH !! like Chris has already said, just a different make...........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irwin-Bolt-Grip-Remover-394001/dp/B0000CCXVZ

have seen the mate use these at his garage loads of times and the result is always the same......

bolt out !!  :icon_biggrin: you might be able to borrow one from a garage if they're friendly  :icon_wink: its worth a try !!

good luck !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

PeteH

Thanks for the suggestions chaps, will contact my local friendly garage and make some enquirees but have to say theres not much left to get a grip on :icon_frown:

Bixxer Bob

In that case Pete you might have to go down the inside.  Obviously there's the risk of dropping crud into the bore, but I have easy-outs that go up to 19mm in dia so one of them would go down the plug where the ceramic was and extract it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

Welcome to Fords lovely idea of the taper fit plug, they were crap when they went in! Didn't get any better after being left in for 12000 miles.

Only ones that came out I've ever seen have had to be machined out of the head after it was off.......

SORRY!
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

PeteH

Success  :thumbsup the plug came out with aid of a No5 easy-out and a little brute force applied by my son when I wasnt looking. Few bits of swarf ended up sitting on the piston head which was at or about TDC, a magnet attached to a screwdriver removed  it and some thin tube attached to a vaccume cleaner sorted out anything that was left. (hopefully)

There was some damage to the threads of the removed plug although near the bottom and trying to insert the new plug found it binding after a couple of turns, good job the fitters in work have a 14mm tap that will clean the threads up, Im just glad I didnt have to take the head off  :nod

Anyway, thanks for the replies  :icon_salut:

KuzzinKenny

In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint