News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

TSR2

Started by nickjtc, September 27, 2014, 08:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Fifty years today since the first flight of the ill fated TSR2 which was the centre of both aeronautical and social politics. Pity, because it was a superior aircraft to the types that were used to 'replace' it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BAC_TSR-2

A similar story to that of the Avro Arrow here in Canada, which preceded it. Imho the TSR2 was one of the most beautiful combat aircraft ever made, even better when seen up close and personal...
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Nick Calne

I love cold war planes. Such amazing engineering.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

Read about it's development, written by the chief test pilot here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Testing-Years-Roland-Beamont/dp/0711010722

Roland also developed the English Electric Lightning and tells the stories in an interesting and humourous way, like the handing over of the first Lightning to an RAF pilot.  There was no two-seat trainer in those days so after a comprehensive brief he sent the RAF pilot on his way.  He was back about 20 mins later (lot a lot of fuel in a Lightning) so Roland went out to ask how it went.  "No sweat" said the pilot, "Everything was under control until I let the brakes off...."

The best example of the TSR2 used to be the one at RAF Cosford because, unlike the Duxford example, it had never flown.  But it's 32 yrs since I last had the chance to climb around it  :icon_wink:

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 28, 2014, 07:12:04 PM
The best example of the TSR2 used to be the one at RAF Cosford because, unlike the Duxford example, it had never flown.

Actually the one at Duxford never flew. XR219, the only one that flew, was chopped up and used for target practice at Shoeburyness. Sorry to sound like an anorak :sleepy1

Conspiracy theorists have had a field day over the 'why's and wherefores' of why the government ordered such a complete and thorough dismantling of the project, even down to destroying jigs and blueprints.... just like the Canadians did with the Avro Arrow. And the Canadians ended up buying US too.....

There must have been significant pressure on the government from the US to buy the F111. Just as there seems to be significant pressure on us here to buy the F35 over more practical (for our needs) and more importantly, cheaper alternatives.

Bixxer Bob

I hadn't realised the Duxford one never flew,  I only remember it being outside for years and looking really tatty.  I understand it's pristine now.  I worked at Cosford for five years running the workshop there  and had maintenance of the museum aircraft as part of my remit.  The TSR2 was one of my favourites.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on September 30, 2014, 11:54:33 PM
I hadn't realised the Duxford one never flew,  I only remember it being outside for years and looking really tatty.  I understand it's pristine now.  I worked at Cosford for five years running the workshop there  and had maintenance of the museum aircraft as part of my remit.  The TSR2 was one of my favourites.

I'm coming over to England for a short trip in February and am hoping to get to Cosford to be able to see the one there. It looks like more of the 'innards' are open for view on that one.

This:   is a very interesting documentary on the whole sorry affair.

Bixxer Bob

If you can give me some notice I'll do my best to get to Cosford too; it's been a long time, , ,  too long  :nod