News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fitting daytona 1000 rims

Started by wp75, November 06, 2014, 09:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wp75

sorry for the crappy Phone pics, I use an old nokia as a radio in the garage so I took the pictures with it
new wheel in, spacers fitted

wp75

this is the Original speedo that I will machine. only concern is the piece with the slots, need to get some material of that also I think. Should be tricky with the rad side.

wp75

rear wheel is easy, fits right in. also fitted new bearings and renewed the brake pads and fluid.
used new-to-me brake discs on both wheels.
managed to find all the brake bolts used. happy with that as one new brake bolt is 8 euro ! now payed 2 euro each.
you can't use the old bolts, way to short.

wp75

made some brackets for the calipers from some steel plate.

nickjtc

Good for you. Looking forward to seeing the end result.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

wp75

here is how it looks today.
the bike steers perfect on the little roads, really like my old trophy.
the only downside is that once I get above 100kph (ca 80mph) the bike keeps straight but whenI give the handlebar just a little push, the front wobble's really scary.
since i have experienced that i have flipped the rear axle so the weigt is evenly. but it is still pretty nervous at speed.
I am thinking about a steering damper... my old bmw r850r (same tire size) also used to have one.
for now I am getting the front tyre re-balanced and measure the inline-ness with the rear.

Anyone has any experience with this after a wheel conversion ?

Mustang

pull the forks up 25mm thru the yokes and add some preload to rear shock

get some weight on the steamers already light front end

and sometimes it comes down to your tire choice causing the wobble  :nod

Sin_Tiger

:iagree tyre pressures can also make a lot of difference, I wouldn't even consider a steering damper at this stage if at all. This has been done more than once, so there is plenty of experience to rely on.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

wp75

Tyres could be a thing... got an old contisport at the rear that is pretty square and a good sportattack2 at the front. There is no sportattack rear available in this size so I want to change to new set of tyre asap. I have 2.5bar at the rear and have had 2 and 2,25  bar at the front. Will set it now at 2,5.

I have also ridden it whith the rear in normal position, the rear sits about 30mm higher than the front then. isn'tt that the same effect as adjusting the jokes lower?

wp75

I have not ridden it a with full tank yet.... will fill her up tomorrow, that would give some weigth

wp75

I have just been riding to work today, 60km at 120kph. getting used to it, it just reacts really quick now: the bike holds a straight line and it only wobbles when I push the steering. that is the only thing, otherwise is behaves beautiful.
got the tire pressure at 2.5 at the front and 2.7 at the rear and removed my topcase. tank not full yet.
I am trying tot rememeber how my old 900 trophy behaved on the freeway... I can't believe it had the same quicl reaction....
I am still thinking about that steering damper, just as a backup. dont want to get a tankslapper.

tommorow I will try it with the rear axle in normal position to get some weight at the front and because I hate the look of the rear now. looks like the bike has shrunk.

Thanks for all the feedback, appreciate it.

motoOzarks

Use a stabilizer to reduce operator fatigue

not fix a wobble

have you checked your triple tree bearings?

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Chris Canning

Having done the same with my 955 12 years ago it takes a great deal of tinkering to get things right.

wp75

that stabilizer crossed my mind yesterday, riding home and wondering what it could be: there is a lof of flex in the forks.
I am going to make one.

Sin_Tiger

Did you do anything with the forks when you had them off?  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint