News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fitting daytona 1000 rims

Started by wp75, November 06, 2014, 09:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

It may be a bit obvious but, did you remember to tighten the spindle and clamp bolts? it can happen :icon_redface:

Chris Canning

You will have to excuse me if I have a bit of a chuckle about this but you 19" wheel brigade have no idea what it's like going to a 17" I nearly had a heart attack and it took me some time to pluck the courage up to go from Michelin Road 02 to a Road Smart which turned even quicker.

It'll have nothing to do with anything just a culture shock about how quick the bike will turn and the fork springs/oil/quantity will need some tinkering with and the harder the front end lets you ride means the rear shock will need sorting as well.

nickjtc

Quote from: Chris Canning on November 06, 2015, 02:26:06 PM
You will have to excuse me if I have a bit of a chuckle about this but you 19" wheel brigade have no idea what it's like going to a 17"

+1. Even though I only had the Steamer for a season and a half, I had got used to its handling 'differences' with that bigger front wheel; switching to the Roadie with 17"ers at both ends reminded me very quickly of how effortless it can be to go through the twisty bits on the road.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

wp75

Well i have been riding for a few days now with this setup. I dont think anything is wrong, it justso much more flickable. I think it is indeed just a culture shock.
Have the rear axle back in high position, set the rear suspension harder and filled up. It is ok i think, just need to get used to it.

wp75

well I have been trying lots of things... turns out to be... see the pic, steering stem bearings..

wp75

the wobble got worse so is was checking everything.
also found a broken tube from the fairing frame so also had to fix that.
also lots of cables that had no more isolation.

Bixxer Bob

I did a lot of head scratching with Rybes when he had what appeared to be worn head bearings.  We tried various combinations of bearing (new and used) and his prime stem and a spare.  No matter what we did we couldn't get rid of the play.  In desperation he bought a set of much more expensive bearings from Triumph rather than Ebay.  No more play.  The pattern bearings were actually a rather loose fit on the stem, not a light press fit as they should have been.

Therein lies a lesson.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

wp75

thanks bixxer bob,

i have just ordered some Original bearings. hope this will fix it.
ik have set the current bearings really tight and the wobbling is significant less.

Bixxer Bob

Not so tight that the steering is tightening up I hope???   :bug_eye
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

wp75

tighter than i would like so that means to me that problem lies in the current bearings as it makes the wobbling less.

Bixxer Bob

With Rybes, the play was between the bearing inner and the stem, not the adjustment of the bearings themelves.  The bearings should be tight enough to need tapping onto the stem, in Rybes case they would push on by hand.  It didn't feel like there as any play until the whole thing was assembled, then it was apparent.  That's why it took us so long to find it, e kept looking at the adjustment rather than the fit on the stem.