News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2005 won't start

Started by tgrrdr, December 22, 2014, 09:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgrrdr

Thread title says it all. My bike sat for a couple weeks and now it won't start. I'm hoping the battery is the issue and if I replace it I'll be good to go. I had it hooked to my battery tender and it was showing a full charge. Can you tell anything from the sound in the attached video? If it's probably a bigger issue I don't want to throw away money on a battery until I can fix what ever's wrong.

thanks
Bill

Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Mustang

Can you confirm the valve clearances are correct?

Tight intakes=no start when colder outside.

NortonCharlie

Sounds like it is cranking fine, when mine had a to tight valve it didn't sound that even when it cranked.  Is that fuel gauge at 0 and the low fuel light on for a reason ?

The ignition switch was on the whole time so couldn't tell if you get the hum out of the fuel pump when you flip on the ignition switch.  Fuel pump relays have been known to act up at times after sitting.  Had one fail after sitting and hasn't been a problem after cycling a couple times.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

That is the sound of no fuel.  Sounds exactly the same as mine did recently when the injectors weren't firing.  In my case I had to re-map the ECU because it had been corrupted I guess due to a low battery.

First put a new battery on.  It sounds ok, but for a few quid it's just not worth buggering about.  If it starts, bingo!

If not, do the simple stuff first,  does the fuel pump whine up when you turn the key on?  If it does, wait for the fuel pump to cut out after a couple of seconds when the fuel line is pressurised, turn the key off and disconnect the fuel line.  You should get a small spurt of fuel from the connector as it closes if it's pressurised properly.  If that is ok, next check the 30amp fuse in the fusebox.  Not the one on the side of the battery box, the one in the fusebox.

If it still won't start then you have to look deeper.  But let's not get ahead of ourselves.... :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tgrrdr

thanks for all the replies. The fuel pumps hums/whines or whatever when I turn the key. I'd only ridden about 50 miles since I filled the tank so it has plenty of gas. I noticed today that it takes a while for the gas gauge to move but it eventually gets to ~3/4 tank. The fuel light doesn't seem to turn off - maybe it's supposed to stay on until the bike starts?

I don't have time to check the valves (or space in the garage to take it apart) but it's sitting in my garage and during the day it's been in the 60's here so I don't think temperature affecting valve clearances is the issue.

I'm going to order a new battery and see if that makes any difference.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Bixxer Bob

Pump whines then stops is good. Do the spurt check though to make sure you have good pressure taking all the sensible precautions regarding fuel / battery / spark of course.  Fuel light stays on until bike is running.  Gauge does take a while to creep up.

If the new battery doesn't sort it, off with the tank and airbox and ensure the injectors are squirting fuel when the engine turns over.  You'll probably need a torch and should see little puffs of white vapour.

I don't have my wiring diagram to hand, but thinking about it, check all the fuses (because I can't remember which one supplies the injectors) to ensure you have volts going to the injectors.  The injectors are live all the time the ign is on, they are fired when the ECU grounds them.  Also working from memory, the coils get their power from the same line as the injectors so if that fuse has gone it will definitely stop it running.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

fraserdog

It might just be me but it sounds like there's no compression when the starter is cranking. :icon_scratch:
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

cdubya

That does sound strange. Almost like the starter isn't engaged to anything.
06 Girly

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: fraserdog on December 29, 2014, 11:34:59 AM
It might just be me but it sounds like there's no compression when the starter is cranking. :icon_scratch:

Same errant thought I had with mine. Spent ages chasing my tail over the noisy starter gears and the even engine note thinking I had no compression but it was while I was waiting for an adaptor for my compression tester from Ebay that I noticed the injectors weren't firing.  Fixed that and it cranked right up.  Here's the clip of mine, note the similarity:

tgrrdr

Battery is supposed to get here Wednesday, after it's filled and charged I should have a report by Thursday or Friday.

thanks again.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

NortonCharlie

I see the neutral light is on, so the side stand safety switch should be out of the equation.  Sure sounds like either no fuel or no spark to me.  Since the  pump seems to be running I might just make sure the side stand is up and that the switch is moving.  It really shouldn't kill the spark either way while it is in neutral but I'd check anyway.  When I grasp at straws I try to get all the easiest ones out of the way 1st.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: NortonCharlie on January 10, 2015, 06:11:04 PM
  When I grasp at straws I try to get all the easiest ones out of the way 1st.

:iagree Good strategy  :thumbsup

It's easy to see if it's getting fuel, airbox off and look down the throttle bodies.  If you see a white mist while cranking, there's fuel.  And you'll smell it too.  These days it's harder to see if you have spark.  you can pull the coil pack but it's important to make sure there's a good contact between the plug and something grounded.  If not you can blow the coil pack, and they're not cheap.

tgrrdr

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on December 29, 2014, 10:01:52 AM
If the new battery doesn't sort it, off with the tank and airbox and ensure the injectors are squirting fuel when the engine turns over.  You'll probably need a torch and should see little puffs of white vapour.

It turns out the fuel injectors were clogged. It didn't sit for very long so I'm surprised that's what it was. Thanks again for your replies.

Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0

Bixxer Bob

Next time you need fuel, before you fill up, pull the tank, remove the side panel (the seal is reusable, just be careful not to damage it) and change the fuel filter.  If there's crap getting to the injectors something's amiss in there.  Could be you have a pipe off or broken, I have come across it before.....

tgrrdr

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 01, 2015, 07:02:05 PM
If there's crap getting to the injectors something's amiss in there......

I think the "crap" was California gas! I've had the carbs get gunked up on my 98 Tiger and klr when the gas evaporates and leaves whatever components behind and am hoping that's what happened here.

I'll check the filter the next time I need gas and have time to mess with it.
Bill Bornman 98BRG 05
N37-57.7 W122-05.0