News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Things you really should get round to doing....

Started by Bixxer Bob, January 23, 2015, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Aluminium forms a layer of oxide which then protects it, but if that layer is damaged, the process repeats and so it ends up as white powder.  At least that's my understanding.....

Boats made of aluminium have a protective layer such as anodising or etch primer and paint.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: Nick Calne on April 28, 2016, 10:32:02 AM
And land rovers. The only bit that seems to persist is the aluminium body.  :icon_scratch:
I reckon Sin can fill us in on that one... I know the use of aluminium decks was re-thought after the Navy frigate went up in flames during the falklands war... helped by a missile of course, but still, they weren't expecting aluminium to burn.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

nickjtc

It's been said before, but I will throw this in.... A thing that I see all the time that is neglected, but possibly one of the easiest maintenance tasks, is changing that treacle coloured stuff in the brake fluid reservoirs (aka old scungy brake fluid).
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

I feel master cylinders are a particularly neglected asset. You rarely hear people talk about cleaning them out and replacing the internals, my theory is that the kits seem quite expensive compared to a set of caliper seals. If you think about it, the number and length of strokes of the piston is a lot higher than a caliper piston and yet the cylinder is normally just aluminium. Most I have opened have looked OK initially but have released gunge when given a really good clean.

I've learned to treat master cylinders with the same care as I would a carb.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 28, 2016, 06:23:52 PM
I feel master cylinders are a particularly neglected asset.

:iagree Having just had to clean out the accumulated mung of 30+ years from the master cylinders on the '77 Suzuki, I think a 'spring clean' every couple of years is a good idea.

Timbox2

Triumph Maintenance schedule for the Girly states both Caliper & Master Cyl seals to be replaced every 2 years along with the fluid, wonder how many stick to that, even dealers.
2016 Tiger Sport

nickjtc

Quote from: Timbox2 on April 28, 2016, 08:23:02 PM
Triumph Maintenance schedule for the Girly states both Caliper & Master Cyl seals to be replaced every 2 years along with the fluid, wonder how many stick to that, even dealers.

:mut  Candidates regularly show up for their motorcycle parking lot or road tests with reservoirs that look like they are full of liquid poo. And when quizzed most of them admit that they did not know it was a regular maintenance item..."because that's what it looks like in my car."

CoolHandLuke

Recently, I had cause to remove the sump. Whilst down there, I decided to give the old girl a thorough cleaning before putting back together....

Now, I am fairly sure I didn't contribute to this crud, so this was done in the first 35k miles. From what I can tell, this black gunk is formed of gasket bits and possibly silicon.