News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sammy Miller adventure bike ride in.

Started by blacktiger, January 28, 2015, 03:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Bixxer Bob

Ok, so back on topic, Howie's initial post said discount for "Adventure Bike" riders.  There's another whole can of worms.  Who gets to decide what's an adventure bike, starting with Ted Simon's (author of Jupiter's Travels)  Tiger 100......

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 01, 2015, 11:53:02 PM
Howie's initial post said discount for "Adventure Bike" riders.  There's another whole can of worms.  Who gets to decide what's an adventure bike, starting with Ted Simon's (author of Jupiter's Travels)  Tiger 100......

I agree.

OK, hold on a sec. Let us who are sitting on the side-lines, and who will not be able to attend, grab some snacks and a beverage du jour. This IS an interesting discussion.

What qualifies as an 'adventure bike'? A bike kitted up to the nuts with all kinds of Touratech luggage carrying a white and blue logo, or equivalent. Or ANY bike that the rider goes out on to expand his/her horizons???
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

blacktiger

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on February 01, 2015, 11:53:02 PM
Ok, so back on topic, Howie's initial post said discount for "Adventure Bike" riders.  There's another whole can of worms.  Who gets to decide what's an adventure bike, starting with Ted Simon's (author of Jupiter's Travels)  Tiger 100......

That would be a certain Mr S. Miller I guess. :icon_salut:
But you're right. Any bike can lead to an adventure. A bike unsuited to the terrain you're traversing can lead to an even bigger (mis)adventure.
My own take on it is that it must have a front wheel diameter of at least 19". And be capable of going along a fairly rough dirt road without damaging itself in the process. All these numpty Journos calling things like the Versys and Multistrada adventure bikes are just plain wrong. They're Sports Tourers IMO.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

nickjtc

Quote from: blacktiger on February 02, 2015, 05:45:14 PM
All these numpty Journos calling things like the Versys and Multistrada adventure bikes are just plain wrong. They're Sports Tourers IMO.

:iagree

Nick Calne

All bikes barring the most race specific bikes are adventure bikes. Not all riders are adventure riders though.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Bixxer Bob

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

HockleyBoy

Quote from: nickcalne on February 02, 2015, 07:04:56 PM
All bikes barring the most race specific bikes are adventure bikes. Not all riders are adventure riders though.

+1
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

nickjtc

Quote from: nickcalne on February 02, 2015, 07:04:56 PM
Not all riders are adventure riders though.

Of course it depends on a person's definition of 'adventure'. I've met a fellow on a blinged and farkled up R1200GS who thinks packing his lunch (in the $2000 Touratech panniers) and riding the 10k to work is the epitome of adventure!  :ImaPoser

Bixxer Bob

Read the two books by Lois Pryce; half the world on a 250cc 2-stroke (because she's only little).....

blacktiger

Four weeks away now. I hope to see lots of Tigers there.  :152:
Basically if you ride into the museum on an adventure bike you'll get entry at a reduced level.

FYI I'll be having breakfast at Loomies (A32/A272 junction) at 10am (ish) and then leading a small(??) group on down to the Museum leaving around 11am.

vince

anyone from Essex and kent borders up for a meet and ride in ???   :wheel
time and place to be arranged probably lakeside services 

cheers vince :occasion14
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

sooty757

is it still on ,I have a Sammy Miller, book perhaps he would sign it, xmass pressy,,, aged 13,me not,well I was when I got the book
... circa 197? ish. ill be there weather pending
:blah

blacktiger

Quote from: sooty757 on July 24, 2015, 05:19:31 PM
is it still on ,I have a Sammy Miller, book perhaps he would sign it, xmass pressy,,, aged 13,me not the book... circa 197? ish. ill be there weather pending
:blah

AFAIK nothing has changed just because it's going to be pissing down.

sooty757

:iagree and o is it raining, more than just a tad,and thats from someone who lived in the west of Sotland for 20 years, still it,s about adventure? shall i go?up at 5 so?? well it,s to wet for the microlight