News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

HELP !! At my wit's end . . .

Started by mytee_hercules, March 13, 2015, 12:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mytee_hercules

1996 Steamer with a throttle problem . . .

- starts fine and idles smooth
- 1,000 rpm normal idle and around 3,500-4,000 rpm with full choke
- spark plugs replaced
- carb cleaned and clog-free
- pilot screw at proper factory setting
- floats at right level
- no clogged lines
- all fuel lines clean and clear
- all fuel filters clear

Here's the issue that I can't solve:    When I increase the throttle more than 1/2" of rotation the engine starts to sputter and runs rough. If I add more throttle, the bike stalls and quits.
- At normal idle, I can get it from 1,000 rpm up to 3,500 rpm before it all goes downhill. If the choke is on, I go from 4,000 rpm up to 5,500 rpm and it does the same thing.

Please tell me what I'm missing !!   I have a Haynes manual but I just don't see another course of action . . . Ideas ??
_____________________________________________________________________________________
  2008 Honda GL1800P "GoldWing" . . . 1999 BMW F650 "Funduro" . . . 1996 Triumph Tiger 900 "Steamer"
                                     MSF RiderCoach for www.arkansasmotorcyclesafety.com

motoOzarks

You live in a great part of the country to ride.

Post some pics so we can drool.

How did it run before you cleaned everything?

Have you sync'd the carbs?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Mustang

a couple of things cause that

start with the easy
1. is the right hand snorkel capped off ? IT NEEDS TO BE
report back for more

mytee_hercules

Yes, the carbs are synced.

No, the right snorkel is not capped . . . I didn't think the engine would "starve" for fuel if all the restrictive airboxes and caps were not in place.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
  2008 Honda GL1800P "GoldWing" . . . 1999 BMW F650 "Funduro" . . . 1996 Triumph Tiger 900 "Steamer"

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Sin_Tiger

There's logic and then there's Steamers  :nod
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Mustang

Quote from: mytee_hercules on March 13, 2015, 04:22:04 AM
Yes, the carbs are synced.

No, the right snorkel is not capped . . . I didn't think the engine would "starve" for fuel if all the restrictive airboxes and caps were not in place.
put your airbox plenums and cap back on you will be pleasantly surprised .
or rent some dyno time and start rejetting carbs , you'll end up with mains that are so big .............F150 ford trucks will get better gas mileage than your  steamer!   ............................seriously

mytee_hercules

Well, I'll be damned . . .

. . . you were right !!  It was all because I didn't have the airbox plenums and cap back on. I can't believe the Tiger is so restrictive with it's air yet it runs fine because of it.

Thank you all for your help. Now I can run it down the road and only have to "fine tune" the carbs to minimize the decel "popping" . . .

Sin_Tiger

Hallelujah it's a miracle  :notworthy I'd you hadn't experienced it yourself you wouldn't have believed it, tell us you weren't thinking quietly to yourself "this sounds like a load of :Topes but nothing to lose giving it a try".
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mytee_hercules

Being the 3rd owner of the bike and it not having been run for almost 6 years, this "resurrection" is proving to be quite a learning experience. Now that it runs good enough to get it on the road, I can finish refining the engine and enjoy what so many others already have -- getting some wind in my face riding a Tiger !   :wheel

threepot

6 yrs!! Hopefully,the more you ride it,the better it gets :thumbsup I never get tired of riding mine. I changed the oil yesterday. A while back,I bought some Castrol Power 1..Full Synth oil,10/40 really cheap..£3 Ltr! Ive run fs oil in the Daytona,without much noticeable difference. But I'm surprised with it in the Tiger! Its overkill I know,but the engine pulls stronger,and gear change is nicer :icon_smile: Recommended.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

mytee_hercules

Yes, 6 yrs of sitting under a tarp . . . fortunately, with the proper fluid flushing and component switching, the bike is road-ready. I'm looking forward to giving it a good run tomorrow since the rain has finally stopped and the temps will be pleasant.