News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

better in twisties !!!

Started by ynotbiker, March 16, 2015, 10:56:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ynotbiker

hi all is it worth it dropping the folks through the trees am not lowering the back end adjusters will it make much difference to a nice twisty road have many folk done it. if so how much drop them  :nap

Sin_Tiger

I myself wouldn't do it if I wasn't lowering the rear as well. Reason being, that will put more weight on the front, which will lessen the pressure and consequently the grip at the rear, even just throttling off suddenly under the wrong conditions can have the rear squirming, the rear brake may not look fantastic but it'll grab without a lot of provocation, it's the same as one front remember. I speak from personal experience.

This presumes of course that backing a 250kg trailie into corners is not what turns you on  :bug_eye
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ynotbiker

cheers sin ill keep it sunny side up then. :wheel

JayDub

I have the back lowered slightly - the dogbones are 10mm longer - and the forks approx 15mm through the yokes.
It handles well while keeping a nice line.
Most of the time just weighting the pegs is all that's necessary to carry it through a curve, before that it was just the back lowered and that gave a more twitchy feel, so less confidence.
I too would advise keeping it even.  :iagree

fishnbiker

Fork length adjustments depend a lot on how you want to ride. Lowered, as you say is better for slow speed ~ under 50~80 kmh. I do that for gravel rides along with changing from a 19 tooth front sprocket to a 17 tooth. Having said that, it's a REALLY BAD choice for anything over 80kmh continuous. Makes the rides more tiring as you are making more corrections to keep on track. Also, over about 120 kmh, the front end WILL tend to WIGGLE all over the road. The faster you go, the worse it gets ... very unnerving in any situation. Having luggage added into the equation is downright SCARY!

My forks are set up with 650cc of 12.5w (50/50 mix 10 & 15w) fork oil each side. Stock springs with 50mm EXTRA preload.  Seems to be the best setup for me.

I made the "Sprocketectomy" conversion many years ago & can now switch gearing & fork geometry in under 20 minutes. Great for a long ride to rough backroads area on a longer (6~10 days+). For me, that's up to 500 highway km to get to some superb gravel routes for a week's bush riding, camping, & fishing.

Closer to home, I leave the Tiger in ROAD configuration & use my DR650 for local bush bashing.

The forks length is marked with a hose clamp around each fork leg 25mm down from the top position. Just put it up on the centre stand (you do have don't you? Everyone should),or a jack stand, loosen the clamps & push up or down to change. Tighten up & away you go on a completely different ride.

My photos; http://fishnbiker.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-Travel
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE