News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Project Girly

Started by dino1, March 08, 2015, 08:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dino1

Picked up this project Girly but it has some issues.

Came with the touratech engine guards and bash plate, Happy trails pannier racks w/o panniers sadly, extra gas tank and extra fascia and the low fender. There's a few other bits and pieces and a pelican case on the back and two tank bags and a tail bag.

A lot of the stuff is well used but if I ever bought an unfarckled Girly I could swap everything over. I know the bash plate seems to be a bear to find, I don't think I have ever seen one for sale w/o the bike.

I'm only into for about $900 but it has some type of engine issue. It's leaking coolant into the exhaust. PO did a head gasket but there must be a crack or something that was missed. Is it possible the liner was disturbed while doing the head.

Kind of up in the air as to what to do with it. I could fix and ride, buy another Girly and swap the goodies over. Or do both and have one sporty girl and one dirty girl. I also thought I could have two sets of rims shod with tires, one set with street and one with knobblies. How about a British camo military themed off road bike with ammo cans and tan camo?

For now it's on the backburner till I get my vfr back up.

Bixxer Bob

The leak is almost certainly disturbed liners.  If they weren't Hylomar'd when the head was off then a leak is guaranteed.

Not a hard fix for someone good with spanners, but time consuming.

I like the idea of a rough Girly, but beware of using ammo boxes, the large ones are too heavy leading to handling issues.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

dino1

Would liners cause coolant and oil to mix? I haven't checked the oil yet and actually don't know how but as luck would have it the bike came with a factory manual.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

dino1

No coolant in the oil and the oil looks brand new. Perhaps it wasn't run long enough to mix?

Perhaps I could pop off the exhaust and see what cylinder it's coming from?

Perhaps the PO still had coolant left in the exhaust that never found it's way out and everything is A OK?

motoOzarks

Antifreeze ruins bearings quickly.

If you even suspect it has been operated with antifreeze in the oil plan on bearing replacement as you fix the leak.  If you don't it will lead to even more damage and leave you stranded.

Moto GP in Austin April 10-12

http://circuitoftheamericas.com/motogp

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: dino1 on March 12, 2015, 04:14:10 AM
No coolant in the oil and the oil looks brand new. Perhaps it wasn't run long enough to mix?

Perhaps I could pop off the exhaust and see what cylinder it's coming from?

Perhaps the PO still had coolant left in the exhaust that never found it's way out and everything is A OK?

Unless you have 95% humidity, I think it would have evaporated by now.

How are you assessing the oil quality? If it's what you see on the dipstick, I'd be tempted to drain some out for a better look. Running the engine to see if it emulsifies is not recommended.

Not much point trying to figure out which cylinder is the culprit as you'll have to reseat alk the cylinders if there's a leak.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Roadinator

Let me know if you are interested in selling any parts off the bike....
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange