News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Leak (tank connectors)

Started by mr.combo, March 10, 2015, 10:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.combo

I've read all about the dodgy plastic fuel connectors, but couldn't find the exact problem that I encountered last week.

I have a 2005 Tiger 955i, and when I opened the garage was met with the stink of petrol. Traced it to a leak at the fuel tank under my right knee as I sit on the bike.

(approximate position of leak - Edit: arrow shown on L/H side of pic because R/H side where problem is is hidden. Sorry for confusion)

A rubber hose attaches to a fitting screwed into the tank. On getting a grip of the fitting a piece of just came away in my hand. Needless to say, the leak is now worse than before.

I spoke to my local dealer, explained the problem and ordered the bit I was told I needed along with appropriate seals and a new rubber hose. However, when I collected them at the weekend they were the wrong bits. Turned out they were for the overflow.

So, the reason I am posting is to try and find out the official name for the bit I need or, preferably, the actual Triumph part number so that I can order up a new fitting online and avoid the monkeys at the dealership. A better diagram than the one above would be useful as I don't have a parts book.

Thanks in advance from a newbie on this forum.

Bixxer Bob

You say right knee but your arrow points to the left????

The tank breather and filler cap drain both exit under the left side behind your knee and attach to two rubber tubes that then go down past the stator cover and allow fluids to drain under your left foot.

On the right side is the lead from the fuel gauge sender. Either of the three could leak, which one, specifically, is your problem?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

John Stenhouse

My guess would be the tubes from the front lobes of the tank. If you want parts decriptions and diagrams Bike bandit is the place to look, there are links in some threads to these but a google search will turn it up too.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

Bugger, forgot about them.

If it's one of them, judging by the faff Steamer owners have with their petcocks, it's going to be fun to fix.  Any chance of a pic Combo?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Where abouts in Scotland? There might be a local member that can assist if needed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

mr.combo

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 10, 2015, 11:43:52 PM
You say right knee but your arrow points to the left???

Sorry, edited now. Made a kind of sense to me when I posted the picture as you can't see the r/h side. Reading it back, not so much  :icon_rolleyes:

I was hoping to avoid taking the tank off until I had the bits to sort the problem, but it's looking like that will have to be this weekend's task. I'll try and get the fitting out and this time I'll just take it into the delaers.

Bixxer Bob

No worries, so it is the thick hose that connects the tank lobe to the main tank?  Never come across that before, or even given mine a second look in 7 yrs of ownership; are they plastic fittings then??

nigeh

Sounds like the same problem I had with mine.

I went out to the garage one day and could smell fuel and spotted a patch on the floor, on closer inspection it was the aluminium connector that screws into the tank and has the pipe that runs underneath the tank from the front to the back!

As you did I touched it and a chunk fell off and then really started peeing out!!

Ordered two off the net, only one was broken but decided to get a spare, took tank off removed pipe and unscrewed buggered one and screwed new one on then put pipe back on.

Easy fix but another PITA!!
who needs four cylinders??

www.maisonlaudiere.com

mr.combo

Quote from: nigeh on March 12, 2015, 10:51:49 PM
Sounds like the same problem I had with mine.

I went out to the garage one day and could smell fuel and spotted a patch on the floor, on closer inspection it was the aluminium connector that screws into the tank and has the pipe that runs underneath the tank from the front to the back!

As you did I touched it and a chunk fell off and then really started peeing out!!

Ordered two off the net, only one was broken but decided to get a spare, took tank off removed pipe and unscrewed buggered one and screwed new one on then put pipe back on.

Easy fix but another PITA!!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, that sounds depressingly familiar.

You wouldn't have the part no., would you? Or, looking at the picture above, is the tank fitting shown? I'm thinking part no. 20, but could be wrong.
I'd rather avoid my local dealer and would prefer to order online if possible.

John Stenhouse

I would guess 20 is the right bit, 21 aswell it looks like the seal for it.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Putts255

If the leak is on the Right Hand Side just above the knee, my leak was from the 2 wires that go into the fuel sender unit.  Number 11 on your diagram.  I tried to patch it with epoxy but the gas eventually ate through it.  I ended up ordering a used one on EBay and installed it.  Has been fine since. 

The way you can check is by taking the small panel off under the tank and run your finger up the blue and red wire to the tank.  If there is gas/petrol on your finger its a good bet the leak is from there. 

Good luck!   
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

nigeh

Hi Mr Combo sorry for the late reply!

Yes item 20 was the one I ordered mine from Worldoftriumph

PFKL1210882   CONNECTOR. M8   £ 7.78

Bought a couple as if one has gone you can bet another will sooner or later!!

www.maisonlaudiere.com

nigeh

Oh and I did also buy the seals too!

PFKL1215443   O RING SL   £ 0.77

Did not think they were too pricey all things considered  :icon_mrgreen:

www.maisonlaudiere.com