News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Zealand

Started by Spud, March 30, 2015, 09:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

So the plane touched down in Christchurch in glorious sunshine, far more glorious than I felt after nearly 36 hours travelling. I was promptly met by Nigel (motorcycle Rentals Ltd) the owner of the bike I had hired. Who took me to my accommodation for the night. This turned out to be a converted prison and now was a back packers.
My initial thoughts were not good as I was jet lagged and was thinking loads of kids around means plenty of noise. How wrong can you be the inmates were very well behaved and the walls were so thick that noise did not travel in any case.
After being dropped off I walked into Christchurch to see what was left after the big quake they had some years back, I was shocked and sadden to see the damage to a beautiful town which had sadly had its heart ripped out. But Kiwi's being Kiwi's they were busy rebuilding with some aplomb.
I was picked up next morning after a great night's sleep and taken to the bike a Dakar 650 which proved to be an ideal bike for the trip I had planned. Nigel was showing me over the bike when I asked him about chain lube I a bit of a chain fanatic so when he showed me the Scottoiler fitted I was really please no need to worry about that then.
I was warned to drink plenty during the day as the forecast temperature was going to be in the high 20's and lovely change to the December weather I had left being in the grey damp Midlands of the UK.
So I tootled off after a slight unplanned detour around Christchurch, I finally found the road I wanted and headed south towards Dunedin and my first and only luxury nights' accommodation I had allowed myself.
The road out of Christchurch south is very straight to start with in fact I would swear the Romans built it, but a couple of hours down the road just past a small town called Temuka the road becomes stunning as it runs along the coast where you have great views of the South Pacific and some amazing beaches.
Trundling along the road at 100kph with the bike buzzing away underneath me everything was right with the world. My mind wondered and I started thinking about food, there are cafes all along the road so there's no need to worry about food I ended up in one burger joint and had what looked like the world's biggest burger, I was destined to never have a bad meal during my month in New Zealand, the Kiwi's now how to eat.
During one stop whilst I was getting my bearings with the map a young girl of about 19 walked up to me and asked how I was, as a fellow who fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down, I immediately looked around wondering what was going on. I need not of worried it was just a local Kiwi being friendly towards a tourist I soon found out the whole country is like it. They really appreciate visitors and just want you to enjoy their country. This was brought home by the next guy walking passed who gave me a hearty slap on the back and a cheery "great day for biking" I would of replied but I was busy counting the fracture ribs he had just given me.
I eventually got to my first night's accommodation a lovely hotel on the sea front I had a nice walk along the beach and a great evening meal and I could hear my pillow whispering my name seductively in my ear, so as not to be rude I retired early.

More to follow, picture when I can re size them all  :BangHead

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

nickjtc

I'm envious already. Keep it coming!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Quote from: Spud on March 30, 2015, 09:36:52 AM

More to follow, picture when I can re size them all  :BangHead

photobucket resizes automatically for forum posts ................. jus' sayin'

Spud

Quote from: Mustang on March 30, 2015, 07:38:17 PM
photobucket resizes automatically for forum posts ................. jus' sayin'

I tried loading stuff on photobucket then the computer started to load all sorts of documents up so I stopped it probably my ignorance as to how these wonderful machines actually work  :bug_eye

will try again  :ImaPoser

Chris Canning

Blimey if I can do it anyone can.

Click on upload that takes you to your photo's click on the wanted photo.

It uploads to photo bucket

Click on it again it goes to full size

Click on the IMG on the bottom right and side and then when it says copied just past it in your post.

Spud

second episode...... :augie

My second day started early with a trip around the Otago Peninsula on a beautiful sunny morning I was far too early to get into the Albatross sanctuary where you can see nesting birds and their young if you are lucky.
I continued my loop south right along the south coast until I reached Bluff south of Invercargill where there is not much between you and the Antarctic. I rode back into Invercargill to see a Father Christmas riding along the high street on a Harley chop. My brain was telling me it was the height of summer and my eyes where saying it Xmas, a bit confusing with the accompanying jet lag. 
I was enjoying the "southern scenic route" so much I did it in both directions, a stunning ribbon of road right around the whole southern part of the South Island. One of the best roads I had ridden in a long while.
Over the next few days I headed over towards Milford Sound to see the Fiords, I went through a place called "knob's flat" and I must admit after several weeks riding a single I knew exactly how that felt. Milford Sound and the ride out was well worth the effort I love riding near mountains and the Southern Alps did not let me down.
I pulled into a petrol station to be accosted with the usual Kiwi sense of humour, I filled the bike up which didn't take a lot of fuel and walked into to pay, the cashier said "that will be a whole 12 dollars please", I handed it over without saying a word, she just looked at me and said "everything alright", I replied "scenery" she then said "scenery?" I replied "its shit" "what's shit?" "The scenery, it's shit" at which point the cashier exploded (and I don't blame her as I had just ridden through some of the world's best) she said "I don't know what the hell you been looking at" at which point she hesitated and I don't know which one of us started to laugh first but as I turned to walk away an empty drinks bottle bounced off the back of my helmet.

Spud

Episode 3....... :augie

After Milford I headed north and inland to Queenstown to ride to Coronet Peak and the "Skippers Canyon" a nice little off road route which has no barriers to protect you from the rather large drop on the side of the road. Just be aware of the 4x4 on the blind bends.

Whilst in the area I had to do the "Glenorchy" run a nice ride through Queenstown along a very long loch and looks remarkably like the west Coast of Scotland but grander if that makes sense. A nice tea break at the end of the tarmac, which was most welcome.
Onwards and upwards bound for the West Coast through the rain forest where I was lucky enough not to have any actual rain. I was heading to the most northern point of the South Island, Cape Farewell, but not before I was rudely awaken on morning by my bed moving across my motel room due to an Earth quake.
Before Farewell I had the great pleasure of a stunning piece of road from West Port to Karamea a road to rival any mountain pass I have ever done anywhere. My passage north took me through the excellent Buller Gorge and over to the East coast.
Cape Farewell nicely dispatched and I was heading south back towards Christchurch, but I still had to take in the coast road down through kaikoura an absolutely amazing coastal run which I think I could never tire of riding.
Christchurch was here all too soon but I had a long weekend before returning the bike, so I stationed myself on the Banks peninsula, which in itself was a lovely little run out on a sunny Sunday morning.
But before returning the bike I had the "Two Passes" to do, so I'm up early and head out of Banks's and towards the "Lewis Pass" and over towards the West Coast again the run back would be through "Arthurs pass" an amazing day ride of over 400 miles. This was a great way to wrap up a month's riding that will forever be fresh in my memory. 5300 miles completed and the bike handed back I actually missed the thing for a while.

Now for some photo's  :BangHead

Spud

If this works this is Christchurch centre after the last big quake

Spud

A nice little beach at Dunedin

Spud

Bluff at the bottom of NZ

Spud

Coronet peak looking towards Queenstown

Spud

Not the first night I spent in a cell, but the first one I actually paid for, this was my first nights accom as part of the hire package

Spud

View from the front of my hotel, quite an expensive (for me) treat to myself, after all I was on holiday  :augie

Spud

The bike and the coast

cheers spud  :thumbsup

Spud