News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

12 min tune reset procedure

Started by jammed_stick, September 26, 2011, 09:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jammed_stick

Hi Guys.

This 12 minute tune procedure everybody speaks about...
Heard rumours this reset procedure only works for Keihin ECU:s...
At least Tiger 955i 2006 is equipped with Sagem ECU (MC1000)

Have not found anything in Triumph Workshop manual either mention  "12 min reset" but it could of course be some undocumented feature :)

However what I found in workshop regarding fuel system adaption is following:
Adaption is done automatically when following conditions are met:
Gearbox in neutral , clutch engaged.
Coolant temperature 80 - 100 degrees Celsius.
Airbox temperature min 21 degrees Celsius.
Engine idling for 10- 30 seconds.

To force adaption:
Start engine and warm it up until above conditions are set.... adaptation will then take place automatically.
Blip the throttle every 30 sec to start another adaption cycle.

So if I understand the manual correctly:
Ride a while until engine is warm !
Put gearbox in neutral , Engage clutch and don't touch throttle for 30 secs, blip throttle once , wait 30 sec, repeat and the adaption should be done.

Mustang

the twelve minute tune is similar
start it let it idle till the fans come on and don't touch anything ie. brake clutch throttle etc . once the fan comes on shut it off with the key switch .
It will now start learning new trims for every input as you ride it .

Bixxer Bob

the adaption is out of the official manual and should be done by the dealer when the bike is new and started for the first time.  Legend has it that many of the Girly running problems are down to the dealer either not bothering to do this at all or doing it incorrectly.  I've never tried the procedure to see if it does any good because I'd have to load a standrd map first and I'm reluctant to tinker with her while she's running well (except for the voltage, and the cam chain etc etc etc)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

OldBaldy

Hey guys, a quick question on this.

It says the clutch needs to be "engaged" to do this test.

So, how is that defined? Because in the technical sense of the word, "engaged" means that the clutch is driving the input shaft of the gearbox (i.e. with the clutch lever in its normal, released, position, where the clutch spring is holding the clutch halves engaged with each other), while when we pull the clutch in, it is being "dis-engaged", and the two halves of the clutch are being separated and the gearbox input shaft is no longer being driven.

So, does the procedure mean to "engage" the clutch lever (thus, to DIS-engage the clutch), or does it mean to leave the lever alone (and thus the clutch is ENGAGED).

I'm waiting for some expected feedback that only an engineer type would ask this question, and all I could reply is.....I'm not an  engineer, but am fairly "technical" in approach to things. :)

So, to be clear, "Leave the clutch lever alone" or "Pull the clutch lever in" to do this routine?

John Stenhouse

You have to pull the clutch lever in to get the thing started, and it would be hellish to stand there until the fan cut in and out and then twelve minutes after so my take is lever in to start then let it go and walk away for a while. Read war and Peace return and maybe, just maybe next time you go out it'll learn a bit as you ride.

Don't think it's a valid procedure on any of the later bikes anyway.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

OldBaldy

Found this from a related post, which seems to imply that one MUST hold the clutch lever in....

Reset Adaption Triumph-Sagem-Lambda-models

1. Ensure bike is seeing a closed throttle position (CTP),
if not, then perform TPS reset.
2. Bike in Neutral
3. Coolant temperature between 80-96°C
4. Minimum air box temperature of 21°C
5. Now with clutch pulled, the speed even bring about 3000 1/min, hold the clutch pulled and let the engine
run at idle for at least 30 seconds.

Check bike is adapted by viewing Lambda Fuel.
Figures should be "toggling" +4 to -4

Don't forgot to check IACV steps are 20 - 35

John Stenhouse

That's the correct procedure for the later bikes, that's not the 12 minute tune however.

As I said the 12 minute tune is clutch lever out and that one is clutch lever in, the latter also implies it must be connected to a computer.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Bixxer Bob

:icon_rolleyes:  Had a loooonnnggg discussion with Tom from TuneECU about this because I thought, having read my Triumph manual, that the TuneECU instructions were wrong.  He did subsequently clarify them and the procedure should be with the lever released, not pulled, as if your hand is no-where near it.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...