News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fair price for 99 tiger? please advise.

Started by himalayabiker, April 12, 2005, 04:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

himalayabiker

hey all,

I'm new to the boards. I've been a bmw f650 rider for several years, sold it last year and have been looking at Tigers. I found a very clean 99 with 5000 miles on it, with hard cases, for $6000.  Does that sound like a fair price? Are there any known problems from that year? How many miles might I hope to get out of it if I want to keep it long term?

thanks in advance,

Matt

abell

The mileage is very low, but it sounds expensive to me based on what I see here in New England - you can probably get a 2001 bike with hard cases and the later 955i engine for that kind of money. Five grand would make it look better value.

Any Tiger should be good for plenty of miles if it's looked after, and anything under 20k miles that's in good shape is a young bike with the best part of its life ahead of it.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

newmanr19

Quote from: "himalayabiker"hey all,

I'm new to the boards. I've been a bmw f650 rider for several years, sold it last year and have been looking at Tigers. I found a very clean 99 with 5000 miles on it, with hard cases, for $6000.  Does that sound like a fair price? Are there any known problems from that year? How many miles might I hope to get out of it if I want to keep it long term?

thanks in advance,

Matt

that seems a bit high. I've been looking for several months for a T4 model and I just bought a real clean 98 with 7400 mi with Triumph top case, Givi side cases, factory heated grips and a Corbin saddle for $4800. Course that's for a steamer, FI would probably be worth a bit more but I wouldn't pay a whole lot more then $5000 if it were me.

ArizonaKid

In my experience you can get a good feel for what's fair by searching sites like cycletrader.com or even Ebay.  Some of that will change with your locale, but generaly you can get an idea by checking those sources. I would be warry of buying an older bike with super low mileage.  If it's sat for long periods of time w/o the proper precautions then you might have major engine problems down the road.  A couple years ago I bought an older Ducati with less than a 1000 miles on it and within the first year I ended having to rebuild the top end of both cylinders and replacing most everything that was made of rubber (seals, gaskets, hoses, etc, etc). Low mileage bikes are attractive, but they can also be money pits. I'd rather have a well maintained machine with some miles on it. Good luck.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

tigerowner_ut

Quote from: "himalayabiker"hey all,

I'm new to the boards. I've been a bmw f650 rider for several years, sold it last year and have been looking at Tigers. I found a very clean 99 with 5000 miles on it, with hard cases, for $6000.  Does that sound like a fair price?

The book value according to MCN is around $4k for a 99 tiger.  For $6K I would look for an 01 and get the 955 die cast engine.

QuoteAre there any known problems from that year?

Fuel fittings, Fuel guage, bolt replacement (can't remember which one) but all under recalls.[/quote]

QuoteHow many miles might I hope to get out of it if I want to keep it long term?

thanks in advance,

Matt

My 99 has 19K and is still ticking.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)