News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Update on old 'low revs issue'

Started by JayDub, April 06, 2015, 09:38:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

In relation to my earlier post regarding the running problem at low revs:
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14400.0.html
As well as checking the valve clearances (OK), I have also done a full ignition circuit test using the dealer tool (thanks to a good mate lending it to me  :thumbsup ) - igniter, coils crank position sensor etc and circuits - ALL tests passed.
I also checked the primary coil resistances and given that I don't really know what I'm doing, They are supposed to be 0.63 Ohm -/+ 10%. At the >1 Ohm setting BUT my multi meter only goes down to >200 Ohms, so at that setting I got the same reading of 01.1 Ohms on all three, which I would assume is good that they are all the same spec? - Bixxer?
... the problem is still there  :icon_evil:
I suppose the next logical step would be to change the carb slides, as Mustang suggested (and have I any cash left in the bank  :icon_eek: )

Sin_Tiger

They're not cheap as only Triumph used that size  :^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Yes, 36.80 ea.... + shipping, I even tried to get a carb assembly via parts sell off but all sold out, and now obsolete Mmmm

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

JayDub

Quote from: threepot on April 09, 2015, 09:59:35 PM
Try www.triumphparts.co.uk
They sell used parts?
or triumphant
Don't know if I could trust second hand ones, unless from someone I know.

JayDub

**Update to update...
I tried the Trident slides first but it didn't like them - And the pulsing was still there!!!
I returned the Trident carbs to original then fitted those - it wouldn't start... not a fart.
I pinched the choke assemblies (coz they're in much better condition) and diaphragms from the Trident carbs and fitted them in my original carbs -
NOW IT WON'T FEKKIN START!!
I've checked the coil connections etc. so it looks like more fun and games tomorrow  :icon_evil:

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

** Update to update to update  :icon_eek:
I hooked up the ignition tester once again to find that everything was as it should be.. After much head scratching and swearing I fitted my spare battery and gave it one last crank - it coughed feebly, then suddenly burst into life! at about 6,000 rpm.  I tried to turn the idle down but it wouldn't run any slower, I shut it off and I began to take the carb lids off and then noticed that the throttle balance screws looked a bit 'high' and on checking I found that I hadn't adjusted the cable properly  :icon_redface: wot a tit!  So now, after replacing the diaphragms and choke assemblies with the ones from the Trident carbs, it runs OK.... AND the pulsing has not completely gone but is reduced to a slight bit at 1500 rpm, which I feel can probably be tweeked out with either balancing and/or mixture adjustment..... HAPPY FEKKIN DAYS!!!  :hat10
I think the failure to start with the Trident carbs could have been due to the same reason, and now I'm so good at removing and replacing the carbs I may just feel the urge to try them again - at some later date - but for now  :wheel  :icon_biggrin:

vince

jaydub wrote
QuoteDon't know if I could trust second hand ones, unless from someone I know.

goes to show their are some trust worthy strangers out there  :pottytrain2
glad to be of assistance  :thumbsup :icon_salut:
if you hadn't thought of it already try using shell vpower
made a lot of difference to the slow running of both my trident and my 955i tiger
happy days
:wheel

cheers vince
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

JayDub

Thanks Vince, the only reason I went for yours was that this forum is the one place where I know I can trust people -
I've never found a nicer collection of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium [plus <1% trace elements]  :icon_biggrin:
(and the price was right  :icon_wink:)

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on April 17, 2015, 09:37:20 PM
collection of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sulphur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium [plus <1% trace elements]

Is that all we are too you  :icon_scratch:  :ImaPoser

vince

sin you know what I smell   :Topes :Topes  :ImaPoser :ImaPoser
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 17, 2015, 10:23:29 PM
Is that all we are too you  :icon_scratch:  :ImaPoser
far from it old chap!  :nono

Good idea Vince, they'll be on eBay later  :augie
Got anything else cluttering the garage?  :icon_mrgreen:

Sin_Tiger