News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Heated grips

Started by Boo, April 10, 2015, 10:57:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

On the Tigger, which way does the heated grips switch work? Press up or down for hot or cool? I have no hand book for mine and it say nothing in the manual.  :icon_study:

exchead

middle off down high  up low which i thought was odd as you would think hotter setting would be up :icon_scratch:

Boo

Thanks. I will have a toast later on.

atokad

Anyone have any experience with how long the Triumph heated grips should last??  Mine are barely putting out any heat anymore.  Had them on for about 6.5 years now.  I use them quite a bit and have had 2-3 rides where I had them on high the whole time.  They were $$ spendy and I am not thrilled that they seem to be on a death spiral.  :BangHead

Any ideas or way to repair them?

Sin_Tiger

6.5 years is pretty good going. If it were me I'd replace them with a set of Oxfords. Good performance and value for $
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

atokad

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on April 28, 2015, 11:51:43 PM
6.5 years is pretty good going. If it were me I'd replace them with a set of Oxfords. Good performance and value for $

They fit the 955i?  Comfortable?  Have you had some some before? Hoping I can just wire them into the relay/switch that came with the factory grip kit.

Sin_Tiger

They do fit the bars of course, I've seen them, that make is the most common over here.

I sure it'll have been done keeping the OE wiring, someone here is bound to have tinkered but to be fair the supplied three level controller supplied is very good and is small and easy to position.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

HockleyBoy

Worth checking your charging level is ok before replacing, on mine the heat of the grips has dropping has been an indicator of low voltage.

Also have a look at the relay, on my previous tiger a number of winters (and a lack of maintenance  :icon_redface:) had badly corroded it, once replaced it all worked again.

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Sin_Tiger

Good point,  Worth putting a direct connection from each grip to a larger battery or jump it to a car to see if you have losses elsewhere.

atokad

By fit I guess I meant in relationship to the bar ends.  I have the BMW GS hand guards screwed into the end of the Tiger heated grips and the chrome weighted end.  Wasn't sure if the Oxford grips fit that part as well. I also use the Caterpillar O-ring as my cruise control so I would want that gap between the bar end and the grip to be the same so I could keep using the CAT O-ring.

I have a voltage indicator on the bike so I don't think that is the problem.  I did spray some contact electrical cleaner into the switch today and ran the bike and turned them on.  They're still working, just don't seem as hot.  I think the contact spray may have actually helped as I was thinking about that the other day while riding, if it is dirty, could be the problem.  Went ahead and did all the handlebar switches and ignition while I was at it, so we'll see.

Thanks for the input.

Wiggus

Guess I'm lucky; my heated grips are 16 years old and still work great. On the other hand the throttle is worn so smooth that it's become an issue on long hauls. Time to replace them I guess.
You Will Know Me By The Trail of Bolts...