News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'98 Steamer - Start/Idle proglem

Started by FoothillRyder, April 15, 2015, 08:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoothillRyder

My poor girl sat for many months, victim of a number of personal issues, and when I tried to fire her up she resisted.

Here's what I know:

- I can get her to fire up and run on all three - briefly - by spraying starting fluid into the intake horn
- She will NOT idle, and is difficult to keep running (and could not be ridden)
- I know (from my IR thermometer) that one of three is not firing reliably, the other two seem 'normal' looking at header temp.

I'm thinking perhaps a carburetor problem; but I'm not the best mechanic, and I'm open to suggestions otherwise.

So...

Hoping for some wisdom from the collective on how to approach (and correct) this issue!

Thanks in advance.
- FoothillRyder

'97 Trophy 3, '98 Tiger, '96 Sprint
AMA 289558, COP# 0001, BIR# 47
www.foothillryder.com

Mustang

you got a ethanol induced gummed up carb or two

go get some sea foam at auto zone
add about a 1/3 of a can to at least a half tank of gas

turn on petcock
let it sit overnight
get it to start
keep speed over 2000 rpm with choke , dont touch throttle
let it run till good and warm
go for a 20- 40 mile ride keep making it work coming off idle as much as you can (you may need to keep the choke on to start the ride )
if the sea foam is gonna do it you'll feel things smarten up at around 10-15 miles

if it's really gummed up you need to pull the carbs and clean all the jets out

FoothillRyder

I'll give that a try; but I did have Sta-Bil Ethanol treatment in the fuel when she was parked (it's a habit). I suppose it certainly could be gummed up carbs; but I do hope not.  :BangHead
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

Mustang

trust me it is ...................... :nod

FoothillRyder

;)

If I don't have a bottle of Seafoam in my bike shed, I'll go out and get one tomorrow and give it a try!
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

FoothillRyder

It took a week and several start/run cycles; but today she not only started without the help of starting fluid, she finally settled into a normal idle and the throttle response is returning to normal. Lots of smoke (from the SeaFoam), so I added a couple of gallons of premium and let her idle until the temp guage began to rise.

Tomorrow I'll take her out and give her a bit more 'pipe cleaning'; but I think the problem is solved. Thanks lads!

:icon_cool:
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

nickjtc

Keep us posted. I love it when it's the "simplest solution is usually the one that works" kind of scenario.

Ethanol = spawn of the devil.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

FoothillRyder

She's certainly not ready for prime time - yet. Took her out today for a quick 'rideability' check. She got me back; but it was a bit of a struggle (keep in mind I have a very steep hill up from the highway to where I live). WFO was something of a waste, as there really wasn't any power. She didn't want to rev much past about 5k, and when I got back she wasn't idling normal any longer. I stopped and she quit running; but fired right back up with a tiny bit of throttle.

Still convinced it's just a matter of clearing the crud out of the carbs, I just have to be patient (which I can be).

:D
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

richierich75

Had similar problems, and blocked idle jets in the carbs. Even Seafoam didn't solve issues, but stripping the carbs, and leaving the jets to soak in carb cleaner did the trick.

Its a problem with modern petrol, which depending where you are in the World might contain up to 15% ethanol, which reduces the shelf life. Plus it attacks the brass and alloy in the carbs, and also the Nylon 6 the tank is made form  :icon_evil:

threepot

I've read that some manufacturers don't put the ethanol in until it leaves the refinery,incase it damages the tankers!!
95 Super111
96 Tiger

richierich75

I've read that too. Its menace Ethanol, and not sure what the best course of action is long term to protect the bike.

FoothillRyder

She sat for a couple of days, with other projects on my plate. Put the key in, pulled the choke on, one touch on the starter and she fired right up! Idle is fine, throttle response perfect.

Just one more ride test and she should be good to go!
- FoothillRyder

www.foothillryder.com

Mustang

Quote from: FoothillRyder on May 01, 2015, 06:38:32 PM
She sat for a couple of days, with other projects on my plate. Put the key in, pulled the choke on, one touch on the starter and she fired right up! Idle is fine, throttle response perfect.

Just one more ride test and she should be good to go!
yep that's typical Sea Foam results  :eusa_clap

nickjtc

IMO Seafoam ranks up there with cable ties and post-it notes as one of the most useful things ever created.....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Tallbrick

Hi there! I got the similar problem ont my 98' Tiger. I'm  from Sweden and I do'nt understand what seafoam is?
Does she start now?

Yours

Nick.