News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Suspension Lubrication

Started by TR5TRIDER, May 04, 2015, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Girly bottom bushes are the same....  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nickjtc

Bottom bushes........nipples....... where is this thread going??  :icon_wink: :ImaPoser
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 18, 2015, 06:07:48 PM
Bottom bushes........nipples....... where is this thread going??  :icon_wink: :ImaPoser
just you watch... Sin will be along soon  :nod

fishnbiker

Time to think about taking it all apart next winter. Easy job if the bike is cleaned. You very likely will need new bearings there, & the others will probably be a little rough too. Seals also. Jobbers or bearing specialty shops should be able to get most parts much cheaper than the dealers. Check out the chain sliders for replacement at that time too. Might as well get all new grease nipples too.

If using blocks under the engine, you can adjust pressure on the swing arm (for removal/fitting) by using a few boards or a small jack under the rear wheel to raise & lower the wheel. You will need the centre stand free to remove its pivot bolt.

I usually take mine apart every second year for inspection & full washing of the old grease, alternating with the forks & steering head bearings. Heavy use in muddy gravel backroads necessitated a higher level of maintenance.

Now on the second set of suspension bearings, (probably needed from over-greasing & popping some seals) changed out at 86,000km in 2008. Now at 135,000+ & in semi retirement ... pavement only now.

Make sure the area is well washed before hand. Grease & mud mixed make for a messy shop. This would be the one time a pressure washer might be recommended as you will be disassembling soon after.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Beernard

Hi All.
I have already posted this photo as part of my thread on "Link-pipe". It may be useful here, too, for someone who encounters my same problem.
I could not separate the linkpipe to remove it. Therefore I could not withdraw the suspension link to frame mounting bolt. I found that you can:
- undo the lower shock mount and the dog-bone mount
- pull the shock to one side
- slide the suspension link upwards beside the shock itself
- pull the exhaust link-pipe as a unit
Hope this is useful.
Ripper, woke up again.