News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Gearbox. trouble selecting first during reassembly

Started by beefos, April 16, 2015, 02:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beefos

After a long delay I have been working on my sprag. on assembly I have the crankcase in half and tried fitting the 2 gearbox shafts in the bottom half to check but I have found I cannot engage first gear and even neutral feels tough.
Is this just because the crankcase is not together or is there something else I should check??
Without the end selector fork (furthest from the gear lever) I can select first easily so it seems to be an alignment problem with the end fork?

beefos

Took some pics to see if anyone can spot the problem.
They show the selector drum in neutral and when the last selector fork is out I can select first.
It seems that the drum needs to move a touch to the left...

Bixxer Bob

Gearboxes are not something I've done on the Tiger, but I have on the race bikes.  After one or two "what order did those shims go" moments I found a solution; as I remove the gearbox cluster I put a big rubber glove over the whole thing.  Acts like a big rubber band keeping everything on place.  Not helping here though eh?

If you're sure you've got everything in the right order then a test assembly is the only way you're going to find out.  Forget crank, barrels etc for now, just join the cases and see what happens.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

beefos

Hi Bob, I'm sure all the parts are in the right order as I kept both shafts together when taken apart. Good idea on the rubber glove though.
I have tried a test assembly both with just the shafts and with the crankcase halfs and it has the same problem not selecting first.
I'm out of the country at the moment but when back I plan to remove the selector shaft (drum) again to see if I have put it together correctly. It just seems that the selector needs to move a few mm to the right...

Mustang

It sure looks the shifting fork is bent in this pic .....................

that will prevent proper shifting every time

beefos

It shouldn't be as I stored them safely, maybe the photo angle but I will check when I get home.

Bixxer Bob

We just solved a bad selection problem on the race bike, turned out to be the peg that locates in the drum slot.  Tension spring behind it wasn't doing it's job properly.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

beefos

The selectors are not bent, must be the light.  I've added another picture and it shows with 1st selected tbe end selector pin does not line up with the groove in the drum. Can't see why but it must be the cogs out of position?? Not moving across enough to line up. Anyone got some pictures of the selectors and gearbox in the correct position?  Might give me some clues...

Bixxer Bob

Try looking for an exploded parts diagram on the web such as the World of Triumph parts lists.  If it's not lining up some spacers / shims are in the wrong place or something's in back to front.

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

beefos

It does help thanks for that.
fixed it now, the second cog in from the small bearing was thewrong way round.....I don't remember taking them off the shaft which is why I wasn't looking there.
Thanks!

Bixxer Bob