News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

1997 Tiger MIKUNI carb. How do I get the grey slide guides out??

Started by Danwarb, May 12, 2015, 08:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I'm following this amazing guide on servicing carbs (I'm not applying the tuning bit just yet).

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=347184

How ever I can't get the light grey plastic slide guides out as he indicates. My carb is different and I can't push down on part of it from the other end and with fingers alone it's lodged tight.

Any ideas please guys?

Cheers,

Dan

:notworthy
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

GOT IT !!

I found. The trick was to screw in an old bolt with the ame thread (I was SO jammy to find one !!) then with a hammer give it gently taps and the center tubular jet then can be tapped out. After that the grey slider guides come out easy enough. I am winning !!
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Here sliding the grey section out to reveal that hidden 'o' ring.
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Theres no stopping you fella! Good to see someone having a go, good on yer!  :thumbsup just be very gentle in the carb dept, When you get to the pilot air screws - the w/shop manual shows the wrong order for the washer and o'ring, but you've probably already seen that in the how to's.  :icon_salut:

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on May 12, 2015, 09:24:47 PM
Theres no stopping you fella! Good to see someone having a go, good on yer!  :thumbsup just be very gentle in the carb dept, When you get to the pilot air screws - the w/shop manual shows the wrong order for the washer and o'ring, but you've probably already seen that in the how to's.  :icon_salut:

Yes got that Jay ! Thanks.

I'm no wondering what height to set the floats at. In this article he says to simply get the parallel when the floats gently tip back in to the carb body which visually I have them.
But others say it needs to be 14.5 mm which would mean my float edges wouldn't be parallel with the carb body side.

What do you reckon Jay?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

It's ok I've seen now that when the belly most part of the carb is 14.5mm from the carb body edge that the side section of each float ends up parallel to the carb body.

Following tips I made up the cardboard setting rig. It's as damn close as I'll get it with out proper measuring gear. The 'o' rings are changed and the new needles are in so I'm calling the carbs done !
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Danwarb

Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

Take an old credit card or similar (not a melted one) and cut it to give you the gap you want, then just use it as a GO / NO GO gauge.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Danwarb

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 12, 2015, 11:23:13 PM
Take an old credit card or similar (not a melted one) and cut it to give you the gap you want, then just use it as a GO / NO GO gauge.

Yes that's a good idea ! Better than card.

I can't seem to get the heights closer than around 1mm and I just don't see it working to bend these tiny, tiny tabs up and down to make up such a tiny measurement?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Sin_Tiger

The only way you'll get it closer is to get a tiny, tiny person in there with tiny, tiny pliers. That's close enough.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on May 12, 2015, 11:23:13 PM
:iagree I use an old phone top-up card (Sin uses his American express card)  :augie