News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

water in original cases

Started by tigrotto, April 20, 2005, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigrotto

Hi everybody,

I would like to ask a question:

A friend fo mine has original bags on his tiger and when it rains water gets into...

the thing seems very strange, I don't know if it's normal since I have Kappa bags  (just like GœVœ, even cheaper..) and  water doesn't enter..

What is your experience?? any solution to fix this problem??

thanks for your suggestions...

sean

ArizonaKid

I have the OEM side cases and a Triumph top case on my Tiger and have never had any leakage problems, even in heavy rain.  I also have the liners for hte side cases, which acts as a second barrier should any moisture get in, but as I said, it hasn't to this point. Might check the rubber seals on the cases and also check for allignment.  Over-filling the bags might also cause gaps and allow water to get in. . .
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Brock

The panniers on my '04 came off my '01 and have leaked a little water in heavy rain since day one. I think it comes through one or more of the many bolt holes that hold the hinges or catches for the lids. I loosened them all and adjusted the fit of the lids, but it didn't work. I've heard some of the later panniers don't leak. I use inner bags anyway so it don't bother me but when you look at the price of these things it's not very good if they leak.

GIVI or KAPPA are better, more waterproof and lighter.

Bloody hell...it's not asking a lot is it? If some panniers are waterproof why aren't they all?

Sorry...I got a bit out of control there. Pill please.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

knarf

Rub some petroleum gel on rubber / plastic  seal and that usually sorts it.

Also works for Givi cases as well.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning

ChrisN

Quote from: "Brock"Bloody hell...it's not asking a lot is it? If some panniers are waterproof why aren't they all?

I think the reason some leak and some don't is linked to how carefully they are assembled. Top boxes and panniers are delivered from Triumph to dealerships in kit form for them to assemble. I suspect many delegate this job to the resident workshop monkey. I offered to take my topbox and assemble it myself and so far it hasn't leaked, but then again I don't like peanuts  8)
Chris