News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Burnt Fuse Holder

Started by pineygroveshop, May 24, 2015, 11:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineygroveshop

Greetings,
Lost charging today.  Sasquatch mod done three years/23k miles ago.  The inline fuse from the mod to the battery positive side burnt along with the fuse holder.  I mean toasty, crispy & charred!  I'm charging the battery with a Yuasa tender and will check the charging output when I get enough juice.

I've checked the rest of the wiring/Sasquatch mod and see nothing amiss. I've a good grasp of the charging system because I, like many others, have had the charging problems. 

Anyone wanna venture an opinion on why that fuse (30Amp) and fuse holder burnt after 3yrs/23K miles?
Cheers,
Stephen
Cheers,
Stephen

Mustang

the physical size of the fuse is too small
you need to install a bigger fuse , like a 30 amp maxi fuse like big ass  car stereos use

JoeDirt

Quote from: Mustang on May 25, 2015, 05:49:36 PM
the physical size of the fuse is too small
you need to install a bigger fuse , like a 30 amp maxi fuse like big ass  car stereos use

I had some charging issues and my original 30a fuse melted but the my motorcycle would still run after a boost. If I put a meter on the fuse it barely registers on the meter. I believe this has to do with the resistance build up members have mentioned on this particular fuse.

I also did some internet shopping for a maxi fuse holder...

No, I do not have freakishly small hands. That housing is huge! It is a Bussmann maxi fuse holder. I have added a photo with a tape measure for scale.

Sin_Tiger

:bug_eye that's huge, you'll need to put it in a pannier.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

metalguru

Could try one of these.....Not as big as it is in the picture and fits down the side of the battery box.

2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

JoeDirt

I managed to find a smaller maxi fuse holder and it doesn't make my hands look as freakishly small by comparison. The top one is the one in previous pictures and has an 8 gauge wire. The second one at the bottom of the picture is a cheaper 10 gauge one. I think I'll try to fit that one.

Besides I like to think I won't need tools to replace the fuse...  :pimp

motoOzarks

small hands can't handle the tools?
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

JoeDirt

Quote from: motoOzarks on August 27, 2015, 06:03:47 AM
small hands can't handle the tools?

Nah... I just don't want to be broke down in the middle of nowhere and not have a wrench to change a mega fuse. That would suck.  :icon_frown:

metalguru

The root problem with blade fuses burning out is the contact area, or rather the lack of it.
Through galvanic corrosion the fuse and holder develop a resistance, this creates heat and more corrosion. The heat can build to such an extent that it oxidises any form of grease or coating and indeed melting the plastic.

The main idea of a maxi fuse is that it increases the contact area of the conductive joints.
Through prolonged testing in all year weather and temp, the Midi  fuse I used did not warm up or corrode when assembled with a drop of ACF50.

The Girly wiring loom was built to a price and is now getting on in years and needs all the help it can get.

If you don't want to go to the trouble of changing a fuse there are these,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-30-50-60-80-100A-Car-Stereo-Audio-Inline-Circuit-Breaker-Reset-Fuse-12V-24V-/311016749602?var=&hash=item486a0afa22

Could not be sure of build quality though.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

JoeDirt

I haven't cut my harness yet... I am just weighing my choices. I just wish there was a 12ga option.

JoeDirt

Quote from: JoeDirt on August 31, 2015, 05:37:47 PM
I haven't cut my harness yet... I am just weighing my choices. I just wish there was a 12ga option.

Okay I cut my harness, I think I may have tripped on a 12ga option. I purchased a newer Delphi fuse holder than the one originally on my '01 Girly. The newer ones have a different contact than the older version.

On the left is the newer Delphi fuse holder and the right is the original Delphi fuse holder. If you look closely at the contacts, you will see that they are constructed differently. The new one holds the blade in a "C" shape and the old one holds the blade with two side contacts. One cool thing about the new fuse holder is that it still works with the old battery housing near the positive terminal. Clips in just like it always did... :thumbsup

The old style  plastic housing comes off by using a small flat screw driver towards the inside of each contact.

The newer connector comes with (3) contacts for a reason. I found out the hard way that the new style housing must be on the harness prior to crimping on the contacts. Otherwise, it is impossible to snap in the contact. The older style was not this way. I think they made this compromise in order to improve the surface contact to the fuse. Again V=I X R, I am getting heat due to resistance of the connector.

I hope the redesigned connector does the trick. In the past, I have watched that fuse just sit there and smoke. :icon_eek:

~JD

JoeDirt

Quote from: JoeDirt on December 31, 2015, 03:00:52 AM
Okay I cut my harness, I think I may have tripped on a 12ga option. I purchased a newer Delphi fuse holder than the one originally on my '01 Girly. The newer ones have a different contact than the older version.

Just an update...

I have a few hours on my new fuse holder and it still looks brand new. No signs of melting on the fuse or connector. :thumbsup

I have lubed it up with some silicone... I think that should keep it from the oxygen away even if it gets hot.

~JD

BTW, I found the Delphi Fuse holder at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331329893381