News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

newbie with passenger

Started by ChillMan, June 03, 2015, 10:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

Hello,

I met someone this week who used to own a 955i before "upgrading".

He now has a Tiger 1050 Sport, it's a beautiful bike, better at the track/corners because of the small front wheel, but... forget offroad. He misses his 955i which was interesting and nice for me!

Anyway he showed me that under the seat [of my model 2001] there is an adjustment screw for the springs, which I should change every time I have a passenger. Recently got helmet etc for my GF and I do notice the bike sinks too much when she climbs on. (She's not heavy btw. :)). Where can I read more about how that works?

Thanks

Bixxer Bob

Hi and welcome!!  Did you get  an owner's handbook with the bike?  It will tell you about it in there.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

PeteH

Hi Chillman...what do you call "not heavy "
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

ChillMan

Yes you are right Bixxer Bob!  :augie

In my handbook (in Swedish) I find two settings, one is "rear rebound damping" and the other "rear spring preload" (the one he showed under the seat). Should I not ever touch the "rear rebound damping"?

According to the book, the "rear spring preload" has five modes. No recommendations though, with or without passengers. It just says "To adjust, turn clockwise here to increase preload".

Is it impossible to turn it too far clockwise or the other way? Do I damage it if I change it frequently?

Which of the five modes is best when alone, and with passenger?

I am currently approx 90kg, down from approx 100kg when I first rode the bike. She is approx 57kg. She's further back, so her weight affects the springs more.

PeteH, heavy would be 100kg. :)

ChillMan

Weights converted for your convenience  :icon_study:

My weight now: 90 kg = 200 lbs = 14 stone
Her weight: 57 kg = 130 lbs = 9 stone

Chris Canning

Turn the preload to 5 and with a straight bladed screw driver turn the damping to the right (H) I rode with that setting from brand new riding one up and I weigh a lot less than 14 stone  :icon_wink: the shock was crap when it was new never mind all these year on but good enough to potter about two up I guess.

But for any decent riding at speed which the 955 will still very easily do then I'd hit the search button there's loads on such.

ChillMan

Chris, pardon my n00bness but what does "preload 5" mean?

I was down at the bike just now, found the tool needed and started experimenting. To my surprise the whole big can moved when I turned with my tool?!

I got 7 clicks turning one way, then 6 clicks the other way, then 5 clicks one way then 7 the other way... Very very confusing. Shouldn't it be the same each and every time?

It seemed to get stiffer when I turned it clockwise. Very stiff when at closewise end position. Correct?

Chris Canning

What I'd suggest is go into Google and search motorcycle suspension.

Preload
Damping
compression
Rebound

Because without even the basic Idea you will have no hope of what you are doing.

Setting 5 is max preload
Turning the adjuster at the bottom assuming it hasn't seized from lack of use all the way to H is max damping.

Damping has two parts compression when the shock is going down and rebound when it is coming back up cheap shocks combine both even some aftermarket do to cut cost good quality shocks have separate ajustments so you can control the speed the shock goes down and the then the speed it comes back up.

What you have on your bike as far as suspension goes is called boat anchor quality absolute junk :icon_wink:

To try and understand what you are doing make an adjustment and stand behind the bike hold the rack and press down so the suspension moves and feel the difference assuming your shock isn't knackered.

ChillMan

ChillMan

Beautiful day, sunny summer feeling. Drove around town for hours alone.

Bike ran beautifully as always but I suppose I left the rear preload one click too high because it definitely was less comfortable than I'm used to, bumpy. On the other hand, possibly that makes it better in some situations (turns?). I'll try another preload setting before next ride.

I also now notice perhaps too much dive when I (front) brake. I'll look into that another week.

I can't understand how you would want it on max preload. Ouch! :)

Sin_Tiger

Apply a little rear brake before front brake, this will help to settle the bike and reduce the initial front dive. This takes some practice but will become natural after a while and result in smoother speed transitions.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: ChillMan on June 06, 2015, 02:59:58 AM
Beautiful day, sunny summer feeling. Drove around town for hours alone.

I can't understand how you would want it on max preload. Ouch! :)

Ride the bike a lot faster you'll soon find out  :icon_lol:

ChillMan

ChillMan

In the evening today I was going for a ride with the girlfriend. Let's not let these few lovely sunny evenings get wasted! The sun sets at 10pm now here in Sweden so there's time to enjoy even after work.

Anyway, I turned preload clockwise until stop, then counterclockwise one click. Is this what you mean max preload = setting 5? Or it is at the stop?

Easier handling of the bike! For instance in curves. It might of course be just my imagination or improved skills with a passenger but... I'm sure preload also helps. It felt a bit more like when I drive alone.

Sin_Tiger

That was the damping screw you adjusted. The "Preload" adjustment is the large slotted nut on top of the spring.

But if it helped then you know one thing more than you did when you started  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint