News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Your Steamers ENGINE SOUND. Any bonus sound effects as mine?

Started by Danwarb, June 03, 2015, 11:12:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

:iagree
the torque drops off significantly after 6500 rpm any ways

nickjtc

Quote from: GavD on June 06, 2015, 04:08:07 PM
I really don't rev mine much above 5500rpm. 2 reasons really,
1. Mechanical sympathy for the bike that has served me well for 13 years.
2. There's enough torque below that to keep me smiling.

I thought I was the only one who didn't thrash his engine. :icon_wink: Even with my gearing (19/46) the engine has lots of grunt at the bottom end.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Danwarb

Quote from: Mustang on June 06, 2015, 04:18:48 PM
the torque drops off significantly after 6500 rpm any ways

I'd beg to differ with my 97 Tiger ! I get a solid pull from 2000 to 9000 revs !!
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

nickjtc

Quote from: Danwarb on June 06, 2015, 09:10:30 PM
I'd beg to differ with my 97 Tiger ! I get a solid pull from 2000 to 9000 revs !!

:wheel woohoo
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

threepot

Quote from: GavD on June 06, 2015, 04:08:07 PM
I really don't rev mine much above 5500rpm. 2 reasons really,
1. Mechanical sympathy for the bike that has served me well for 13 years.
2. There's enough torque below that to keep me smiling.

And you don't like going over 80mph !? :augie :bad
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

Quote from: threepot on June 07, 2015, 11:36:33 AM
And you don't like going over 80mph !? :augie :bad

You've never been to the Isle of Wight have you? They have a policy over here of resurfacing the roads in the villages, and leaving the open roads to fall apart. it's a tactic they use to enforce a 30mph limit everywhere on the island!! :5moped
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

Danwarb

Quote from: GavD on June 07, 2015, 04:41:31 PM
You've never been to the Isle of Wight have you? They have a policy over here of resurfacing the roads in the villages, and leaving the open roads to fall apart. it's a tactic they use to enforce a 30mph limit everywhere on the island!! :5moped

Hence why you have Steamer !

I flipping love getting airs of the local speed ramps !! Ha ha !!

:ImaPoser
Black 1995 Tiger 885

threepot

No,never been. I've heard its nice though?But it seems to be a problem everywhere. But lots of good roads here,so you'll enjoy  :thumbsup
95 Super111
96 Tiger

GavD

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: GavD on June 07, 2015, 04:41:31 PM

That's shocking enough but to be actual written policy  :nono Can you imagine the law suit if someone comes a cropper and they can prove it was due to negligent road maintenance  :pottytrain2 one large pineapple (you'll understand that being ex blue suit) for the man who wrote that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 08, 2015, 11:09:42 PM
That's shocking enough but to be actual written policy  :nono Can you imagine the law suit if someone comes a cropper and they can prove it was due to negligent road maintenance  :pottytrain2 one large pineapple (you'll understand that being ex blue suit) for the man who wrote that.

It's more my thoughts on the matter than actual written policy Niall, but I do have to meet the local Highway Authority every 3 months as part of my job, and they do seem to have some strange ideas sometimes.

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 08, 2015, 11:09:42 PM
one large pineapple (you'll understand that being ex blue suit) for the man who wrote that.
............ and for the landlubbers???
..... or is that related to the saying about the 'rough end of a pineapple' I wonder.

GavD

Danwarb

Jay,

You said you recognise the same clacking sound with every engine turn on your Steamer.

You mentioned checking the valves. Can you do this on your Steamer and let me know what you find?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

The clacking sound is only heard from the r/h exhaust can on tick-over, and isn't valves (I don't think) it's not really in sync with engine revolutions, its more erratic.
As for the valves, checking them involves removing the cam cover and measuring the gap between cam and shim on each of the valves, then replacing the shim for a thicker or thinner one to adjust the gap to within tolerance:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,34259
I re-shimmed mine last week and the noise is still there.
I think you may be still adjusting to steamer ownership, we've all gone through it but begin to realise that these bikes are a different beast, with their own idiosyncrasies which you learn to live with - just check everything is as it should be and maintain it properly and it will be fine...  :thumbsup