News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch fluid keeps going cloudy ?

Started by Sparky, July 13, 2015, 07:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky

I bought this bike in the spring and flushed both brake systems and the clutch with fresh brake fluid the old stuff looked a little discoloured and cloudy but nothing too nasty just old fluid.  After about a month I noticed the clutch fluid was cloudy again so I flushed the system a second time now another month later and it's cloudy again colour looks good it's not dark just cloudy.  Do I have something else going on that needs to be repaired ? 

I have not ridden in the rain and the bike is stored in a garage so I doubt it's a water leak.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

ssevy

I think you are seeing symptoms of water contamination. Any miniscule opening into the clutch fluid system could allow condensation to enter and contaminate things. Here's some suggestions:
1- Wrapping your bleeder screw with Teflon tape helps to provide a better seal at that end of the system, but be careful not to wrap it so that it might plug the fluid movement.
2- At the other end, the rubber diaphragm tends to shrink, expand, dry out, and otherwise deform so that a hairline leak is also possible at the reservoir. I just ordered a new one for my clutch reservoir, as I could see it had miniscule leaks.
3- Even with careful flushing, there are some nooks and crannies where old fluid may lie outside of the mainstream, and it may re-contaminate your fresh fluid. Sometimes multiple bleedings are necessary.
4- Always use a fresh, unopened bottle of fluid, as brake fluid attracts water like Triumphs attract clever, well-adjusted, funny, expert riders :icon_mrgreen:.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

John Stenhouse

Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

motoOzarks

Not just the bleeder but hose connections are suspect.
As is the lid.

If the PO topped off with non compatible fluids it could be eating at seals.

If it's not leaking just keep flushing.  When the fluid gets cloudy it's doing its job.  It gets saturated and needs changed.

If the fluid discolors then your seals are failing and it's time to dig in.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i