News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hurtful noise probably due to windscreen turbulence

Started by ChillMan, July 31, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mat-tiger1

Strangely enough I had more turbulence trouble with the original 'short' screen. :icon_scratch:

I had a taller aftermarket one with the bike which made a world of difference.  :thumbsup

Like Sin said, everyone is different, what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another!  :^_^
All the best, Mat-tiger1. 👍
2021 Tiger 900 RP & 1982 Yamaha XT550 (For old times sake) Bike history:- 2018 Tiger 800 XCA Korosi Red. 2015 Tiger 800 XCX Caspian Blue, 2005 Tiger 955i Lucifer Orange.

Bixxer Bob

I have a tall screen, minimal turbulence and although irrelevant,  I think it looks better than the stubby original.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: mat-tiger1 on August 12, 2015, 01:04:49 AM

Like Sin said, everyone is different, what suits one doesn't necessarily suit another!  :^_^

Don't ya just love a screen thread  :icon_wink: stock screen?? I absolutely love e'm when they turn up on ebay new unused I'm your man  :icon_biggrin:

Barcelona/Birmingham in 16 hours and that includes the cross channel ferry,Florence/Birmingham out the hotel 6am both days and back home the second day at 2pm and 4/600 mile days god knows how many we have done,biggest hassle I've had is changing crash helmets because as I found out they don't all work the same.

supercoupe1993

Just because, i havent chimed in yet......
I run the palmer brackets. My reasoning is 2 fold.
1) I can run any screen i want. Currently i have a used screen from an old sidecsr rig. My buddy is running a slipstreamer scooter shield on his Palmer brackets. You can drill 4 holes in any screen and run it. Then you can truely customize..... I have yet to pay for a windscreen for my tiger!!(i guess i should have said that i  am cheap, guess you all have figured it out)
2) My lastname is Palmer, its kind of a no brainer!!

Chris Palmer
2000 Tiger

ChillMan

Today I first went for a 2h ride, saw some horses and cows and farms and what not. Very nice. I got home (city center) and was a bit exhausted but I took off the screen and went out again on the now "naked" bike.

Wow. Everything seemed to improve. Any feeling of exhaustion was just gone, and I wanted to go more, more, mooore...  Wow.

* Hurtful noise at 70km/h and above was just gone. Completely.

* At all speeds, I felt the speed more, in the good way.

* I felt the nuances much more subtly, like any small acceleration now had a corresponding increase of speed wind. I did in that sense immediately become a better driver, feeing the bike more, feeling the balance and so on.

* In general I felt I was going faster, and oddly enough it made me go even faster still...

What a difference! The "woo hoo" feeling is back!  :wheel

BTW, I noticed when I took the screen off that mine is GIVI. Oh and BTW, the bike is pretty ugly without any screen but...

JoeDirt

Hey Chili,

I have one of those MRA windscreens with deflector on the top. I don't care what the other guys think... I think they look badass. I don't have any buffeting issues and the one I have looks like the one below.

A seller in Germany is selling these on eBay. I searched for "MRA Verkleidungsscheibe Variotouringscreen".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MRA-Verkleidungsscheibe-Variotouringscreen-farblos-TIGER-955-I-02-T709-709EN-/311374509749?hash=item487f5df6b5

Dutch

They can be bought a most bike shops. I have a Puig version. Disadvantage is that adjustability is in big steps, the MRA might have smaller steps. Didn't like it much on the stock screen nor on the cut down screen. I am 1.83 m (6") and have an Arai helmet. Which is a great helmet but not really silent. Of course I always wear ear plugs.

The buffeting with a regular or higher screen is the problem. Maybe I have to test the mirrors as well, I hear that with some bikes the mirrors are indeed a big issue. Same as you TS found that no screen at all works best. But looks crap. My best solution so far: cut down screen and the gap between fairing and screen closed with an old sponge. Looking for a Triumph sports screen but have not found one for a reasonable price.

A really high and wider screen like the Cee Bailey (Marc had one with MRA spoiler on top of it) might work as well. IMHO with screens they have to be either low so the helmet is in a clean air flow, or really high & wide so the helmet sits in a quiet pocket. But as you could read this is very, very personal.

The cut down oem screen:

ChillMan

I am approx same height 184cm.
I searched online and found one type of sports screen here
http://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/tiger-955i-sports-screens-flip---standard-3683-p.asp
but unfortunately it lacks photos and a detailed description. Someone I met told me that that shop was good, so perhaps it's worth a shot?

Might be worth trying to cut the GIVI screen off but with my skills it'd take a whole weekend and still not look pretty. :D

Dutch

With a power jigsaw it's a matter of minutes. Stick masking tape over the screen where you want to cut and go ahead. Go with a little first, its easier to cut off a strip then it is to cut on a piece  :icon_wink:

I was lucky I found a guy who was selling both a flip-up and a (slightly damaged) oem screen. The higher doesn't do it for me, same turbulance  :icon_sad:   The other one had a one night stand with the jigsaw and now has a fairly stable relation with the Tiger   :love10

ChillMan

Actually I think the "sport" screens of the link I sent might simply be standard size screens.

Screen is just plastic so even a manual saw might probably do. I have one that I used to cut some copper pipes. Then sandpaper the edges and done?

Straight cut or curved?

I didn't quite understand that about an old sponge.

John Stenhouse

The sponge is to close the air gap at the bottom of the screen where it joins the nose fairing. That's the problem really, that gap is either too small or too large. Most of the effective after market screens make that gap bigger allowing more air through and hence reduce the turbulence behind the screen. Closing that gap in some circumstances can improve the situation. One solution is too always ride with a tank bag as it breaks up the big gap between the rider and the screen and reduces the space for the air to tumble in.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ChillMan

Thanks, that explains it.

I actually have looked around for a tank bag (or top box). I bought a 2-helmet top box some months ago but its plate under was too big, so I returned it.

Since my screen (Givi) is off right now away, I today cleaned and polished it (it was in awful condition, previous owner probably wiped it off with sandpaper :-)). The result looks great. Photo:

Toster

What did you use for cleaning and polishing? The end effect looks great.

ChillMan

Clean: Regular "YES" hand wish washing liquid, gently whiping with hands, no brush, cloth etc. (EDIT: I think it might be "Fairy" in the UK.)

Polish: Wood furniture polish with old bed linen cloth.  I think the main effect is adding a thin layer of chemical that makes the scratches not be visible. I bet that the scratches are still there if I clean it completely again.

I thought I had copper or silver polish at home but didn't find it so...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: ChillMan on August 19, 2015, 11:39:33 AM
Polish: Wood furniture polish with old bed linen cloth.  I think the main effect is adding a thin layer of chemical that makes the scratches not be visible. I bet that the scratches are still there if I clean it completely again.

:iagree silicone wax furniture polish works well but only lasts so long, works for visors and helmets too. Try to find either "Plexus" plastic polish or "Mr. Sheen" wax furniture polish (by smell, feel and results I think they are very close to each other) if they have those brands where you live.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint