News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

hurtful noise probably due to windscreen turbulence

Started by ChillMan, July 31, 2015, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChillMan

Since you mention silicone I want to just mention that according to the bottle it "contains natural oils, no silicone". Either way, it doesn't seem to contain particles that would polish - in the way we want to have for scratched/matte plastic surfaces... at least that is what I THINK we want to have.

ChillMan

Tooth paste might be good BTW. Or whichever chrome polisher you use for your exhaust pipe, yeah?

ChillMan

I am still driving with the windscreen off!

I've taken out a saw and sandpaper. Will cut it, but after trying the "gap" idea.

I got some longer screws (and nuts as distancers) - but it had the wrong diameter, less than 1mm too small so maybe it's one of those measured in inches.

About tank bag: which is your favorite to reduce turbulence?

ChillMan

a)
Windscreen is now sawed off, the black rubber is glued on the top, and it is mounted on the bike. It looks pretty cool. See photo. I did this change late on Friday, and didn't try it until the next day, when I went on a long tour with some friends. The result is: some reduced turbulence but not much reduced. It hits lower than before, it feels like. The wind protection when I lean forward is of course almost gone.

b)
I put a sponge in the "hole" but it made no difference.

c)
I borrowed my friend's backpack which is designed for biking, and turbulence was surprisingly reduced.

d)
Nothing beats driving around naked! :icon_mrgreen:

ChillMan

Today was windy so there was some "wind disturbance"... but my brand new aerodynamic motorbike backpack seems to reduce turbulence noticably. I don't get that effect with my regular backpack.

Not affiliated in any way but I would like to show the shape of it:
http://pierce.imgix.net/ProdImages/prod_54380/p54380.jpg?q=60&sharp=40&h=640

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ChillMan

Maybe, maybe not. :)
You need to explain what that means.

motoOzarks

Meaning in order for that pack to be aerodynamic you would need to be lying on the tank like a sport bike.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS

ChillMan

Oh gotcha. Nope.

I use an upright riding position - and the turbulence is reduced.

motoOzarks

Quote from: ChillMan on September 13, 2015, 03:10:29 AM
Oh gotcha. Nope.

I use an uptight riding position - and the turbulence is reduced.

fixed

just making sure you fit in around here

pxm

Quote from: robxxxx on August 02, 2015, 12:45:03 AM
You need to search of some of the older posts. But my advice would be to buy a Palmer screen and brackets and end your problem now.
Agreed 100%
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900