News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain Rub?

Started by Grambo, September 22, 2015, 04:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grambo

Quote from: Mustang on September 23, 2015, 04:19:48 PM
what happens is when you sit on bike that free play goes away , an inch aint enuff
ideally you need to have someone set the free play at 3/4 inch with your weight on the seat ,
Ill measure it then and see what we come up with. will also inspect the forward sprocket guard for crap. Sprockets are looking a bit tired. Maybe time for a new chain and sprockets but the riding season is quickly coming to a close here in the northeast. My ride in was in the upper 30F's

Mustang

at over 40k the chain and sprocket had to have been replaced at least once ........................

but yeah a worn chain and sprocket set will make lot's of noise , and I will almost guarantee that the front sprocket is toast

Grambo

Quote from: Mustang on September 23, 2015, 05:03:33 PM
at over 40k the chain and sprocket had to have been replaced at least once ........................

but yeah a worn chain and sprocket set will make lot's of noise , and I will almost guarantee that the front sprocket is toast

Ill check it out Mustang
Cheers :thumbsup

Grambo

What will a new chain and two new sprockets run me? :icon_cry: Looks like $207 + shipping from Triumph. Anything cheaper out there?

JoeDirt

Quote from: Grambo on September 23, 2015, 05:29:26 PM
What will a new chain and two new sprockets run me? :icon_cry: Looks like $207 + shipping from Triumph. Anything cheaper out there?

Yes, there is a huge aftermarket out there on chains and sprockets. I would just stick to a nice brand name like JT sprockets. They make a lot of parts for Japanese bikes. Ebay is a good source...

Grambo

These look about right?
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/7981

Ill check the price but I have found some that are around the $180-$190 mark

JoeDirt

Quote from: Grambo on September 23, 2015, 06:00:08 PM
These look about right?
http://www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/model/7981

Ill check the price but I have found some that are around the $180-$190 mark

Yes sir, I keep that same link on JT in my favorites. I think you can do a lot better on that pricing. I'm so tight on cash that I squeak when I walk. :augie

Grambo

Best Chain to get in your opinion? Looks like I can get  the two sprockets off Amazon for about $60 shipped. Thanks  ;)

JoeDirt

Quote from: Grambo on September 23, 2015, 06:18:47 PM
Best Chain to get in your opinion? Looks like I can get  the two sprockets off Amazon for about $60 shipped. Thanks  ;)

Before you pull the trigger. You might do a search on these forums about a 19T front sprocket. I just hate to have you not fully informed.

Grambo

Quote from: JoeDirt on September 23, 2015, 06:26:29 PM
Before you pull the trigger. You might do a search on these forums about a 19T front sprocket. I just hate to have you not fully informed.

Oh...19T? OK  :icon_scratch:

JoeDirt

Quote from: Grambo on September 23, 2015, 06:30:06 PM
Oh...19T? OK  :icon_scratch:

It's not a bad thing. It suppose to be an "upgrade" of sorts. Makes highway riding better with taller gears.

Grambo

Quote from: JoeDirt on September 23, 2015, 06:34:10 PM
It's not a bad thing. It suppose to be an "upgrade" of sorts. Makes highway riding better with taller gears.

Yes...I am hearing a bit more sluggish to get going and more throttle in the traffic and parking lots. Curious  :icon_wink: But quieter and lower RPM's at cruising speeds?

Grambo

Still trying to locate the right chain. Amazon says that the Z1R 530/114 doesn't work with my bike...but I'm pretty sure that it does??

JoeDirt

Quote from: Grambo on September 23, 2015, 06:37:09 PM
Yes...I am hearing a bit more sluggish to get going and more throttle in the traffic and parking lots. Curious  :icon_wink: But quieter and lower RPM's at cruising speeds?

Yea that too... I just want you to make an informed purchase.

Grambo

Quote from: JoeDirt on September 23, 2015, 06:43:26 PM
Yea that too... I just want you to make an informed purchase.

Thank you