News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seized brake reservoir screws. Insights please ?

Started by Danwarb, October 15, 2015, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danwarb

Hi Guys,

I often secretly log on and get all the information I can dream of to solve my 98 Triumph Tiger problems but this ones got me stuck.  :icon_scratch:

All 4 of my brake reservoir screws have ceased. They seem to be made of a very soft steel and one of the cross head screws has twisted out of shape with force behind a phillips screw driver bit.

I've sprayed the top of each reservoir with plenty of WD40 then wrapped them in plastic bags to see if tomorrow that'll make initiating turning the screws possible. One I'll need to drill out for sure, maybe all of them !

Do any of you guys know what size these screws are so that I once I some remove them I can replace them?

Any other insights or tippy tricks welcome please?

Cheers,

Dan
Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

ram33

mine were the same. impact driver got 3 out but had to drill head off 4th one then used molegrips to get the thread out when res top was off. cant remember the thread size, think it was 4 or 5 mm. i ran a tap down to clean them up
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Sin_Tiger

M5 x 16 CSK will do it. My preference is for stainless socket head, pennies these days even for A4 grade. Change them all with a little copper grease, don't overtighten them, they don't need it.

Warm up the housing gentlly with a hirdryer or hot air gun, then tap the screw driver while keeping downward and roating pressure, use an impact driver if you have one but be judcious with the hammer.

If the screws are seized like that, chances are the fluids haven't been changed for a long time, there's your winter job  :nod

"Seized"  :icon_study:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ssevy

I had this issue on my Legend. The screws are not Philips, but JIS, and so they often get stripped heads. JIS drivers will work in a Philips screwhead, but not the other way around without damaging the screw.
I bought a set of three Vessel JIS screwdrivers, and they are very high quality.
To remove my buggered screws I used a left handed drill bit and slowly drilled/unscrewed the stripped screw. Once I got the head off, I just lifted off the cover and unscrewed the stub which was sticking up with my fingers. In my case the corrosion was all on the shoulder of the screwhead, and the threaded portion turned just fine. A bit of neverseize on the new factory screwhead shoulders and problem solved.
I will also mention a trick for any stuck screws where the screwheads might be partially stripped. Use some drilling/lapping compound on a screwdriver bit, which you tap firmly into the screwhead with a hammer. Then attach the handle to the bit and turn it. The compound will fill the gaps and provide additional friction, while driving the bit with the hammer will provide additional surface area contact and increase your purchase.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

Danwarb

Thanks for all your replies guys. I always learn so much from you all.

Hi Ssevy, a drill bit big enough to nip the heads off each but small enough to do the job what side drill bit do you suggest?

Cheers,

Dan

Black 1995 Tiger 885

ssevy

I just eyeballed the size of the diameter of the X in the head and tried to match it. One of my screws broke free before drilling all the way through, but the others did not. Just go slowly to avoid damaging the cover.
I change my brake and clutch fluid every season, so the new screws never have a chance to seize up again (or "cease to turn"😉)
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

And one more... if the heads are already chewed up, drill a 2mm hole just 1mm deep and about 3mm in from the edge of the screw, then tap gently using a center punch in the hole to back it out - works every time.

BruKen

Quote from: JayDub on October 16, 2015, 02:25:38 PM
And one more... if the heads are already chewed up, drill a 2mm hole just 1mm deep and about 3mm in from the edge of the screw, then tap gently using a center punch in the hole to back it out - works every time.

Not the most elegant technique but as said.... works everytime, but more importantly, least chance of damage. Left hand drill bits and drills etc. Perfect engineering methodology if you have jigs and pillar drills etc. ...but...One itty bitty mistake and its an bin job. take the KISS approach on this one.

Danwarb

Hi guys,

Brilliant tips.

After all the 'tap on screwdriver handle end while trying to turn the screw out' got both out on my right hand reservoir so this was great as that was the reservoir I had to bleed a to fit new brake pads. The breaking is amazing again. I'm surprised how so ! I've now replaced the screws for high grade allen heads. Happy days.

On the left hand reservoir both screws have completely seized. I'll try the trick of drilling a little hole to one side of centre of each head and see if I can begin the screw reversing out by tapping sideways on it with a hole punch head as you say.

If this doesn't work I'll order a left hand drill bit as they didn't have one locally to me. What size diameter would you guys suggest?

:ear
Black 1995 Tiger 885

Mustang

ram33

4mm if its a 5mm thread (and you can drill straight down centre) otherwise you will need to helicoil it afterwards
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

JayDub

Is it to remove the remains of a screw?

If so, that one you've linked is to cut a thread, you need an easy-out instead... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=easy+out&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=12

Get the best you can, as at that size I find they break quite easily if you're not used to using one.
soak it in penetrating fluid and S-l-o-w-l-y & smoothly is the way...  :bad

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on November 11, 2015, 08:23:18 PM
Is it to remove the remains of a screw?

If so, that one you've linked is to cut a thread, you need an easy-out instead... http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=easy+out&LH_PrefLoc=1&_sop=12

Get the best you can, as at that size I find they break quite easily if you're not used to using one.
soak it in penetrating fluid and S-l-o-w-l-y & smoothly is the way...  :bad

Hi Jay,

I didn't think I was after a drill bit like that. The ones you've given me the link to is very new to me.

So I'd initially drill a 5mm hole down the middle of the screw with a normal drill bit, then use one of these 'easy out' bits to reverse the screw out?
Black 1995 Tiger 885

JayDub

Yes. Pretty much so... You can also use them in  the head of the screw where it chewed up - without drillling.