News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Air box mod

Started by Chris Canning, May 08, 2005, 07:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalguru

Could use a hot knife or a soldering iron, its a very steady job but it works with a lot less swarf.
To make a real peach of a job is to get another snorkel and drill the opposite side to fit, although the snorkel is oval it will fit. The alternative is to get an earlier airbox with 2 snorkels but this will have a metal baffle. As far as I can work out the off road tune will cope as quite rich anyway, but if any problems occur richen up with LTFT about a factor of 0:8.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

abcwarrior

holly thread revival

I have this mod to, [cheers chris  :thumbsup ] and with the can and triumph tune it made a load of diffrence to the bike.
next is handling,
'power is nothing without control' lol
2001 Girly

Brother Number One

Hi All,

I hope it's okay to resurrect this old thread but it's one I've returned to many times and now I can finally contribute something.

I did my airbox this morning with... erm... mixed results.  Blog post (and movie!) here:

http://sawthingsclearer.com/2015/04/09/airbox-mod/
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Chris Canning

Makes cutting the blanking plate out and leaving the two half's together a doddle  :icon_wink:

Brother Number One

Hi Chris,

Yep, I think you might be right. I have limited tools and nowhere to work. The bike is on the pavement outside our building and I did the mod on our dining room table. I thought splitting the box would make least mess.

Dave
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger

Bixxer Bob

Nice one Dave  :thumbsup

When fitting the Scottoiler, have a read of my old post about my throttle jamming open  :bug_eye

The PO fitted the vacuum takeoff in the IACV tube next to the throttle linkage.  First time I opened the throttle full it clicked over the T piece and wouldn't close again.  Frightened the  :Topes out of me.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Brother Number One

Aha. Wish I'd read that before I put the new bit on, yesterday. I'll be in there again before long, mind, as the stepper motor grommet was looking a bit tired. Cheers Bob.

Dave

Bixxer Bob

The plastics on these old bikes are prone to distorting; my IACV gasket wasn't sealing with the airbox so I added a second one using the original as a template and some closed-cell foam sheet.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

atokad

I want my stock airbox back.  When I removed the blanking plate I also went to a 19T CS. I like the reduction in RPMs at speed but missed the torque by changing the CS.

Also noticed the MPG dropped from a consistent 48 to about 44. Note, I run all the time at 5500' and above for altitude.  Well I went back to an 18T CS (feels like a new bike!   :wheel) and now my MPG seems to be 40-44.

I am attributing it to the airbox but maybe I am wrong and there is something else I need to check?? I have the Triumph race can and the offroad tune.  New airbox in US $$ is way too high.

So trade?? Anyone?? Or maybe I need to check some air sensor, TB balance??

Bixxer Bob

I get around 45 mpg but bear in mind that's UK gallons with the 19T and airbox mod.  45 US = 38 UK if the miles are the same length...

Your drop could be your twist-happy wrist since going back to 18T, or it could be the airbox, or it could be the ECU needs to trim itself back to account for the reduced load of the 18T.  Give it a while and see if it settles down.

There's never a wrong time to balance the TBs........

metalguru

Agree with BB here with the throttle happy and raised revs.
The altitude shouldn't make that much difference to the off road map, the Long Term Fuel Trim however, try knocking it back by a factor of 0.8 and see what happens, its a bit like the main jet in a carb, the difference can be heard at idle when the idle trim is set to zero, knock the LTFT down till faltering occurs and raise until smooth running is achieved. Without a gas analyser and a rolling road this is the closest one can get. A definite figure for the settings on these bikes is unavailable as every bike is unique and has to be set up so.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

atokad

Not sure how to adjust the LTFT.  Is that with the TB balancing or with the Tune device, neither or which I have or have had the need for.  The bike is almost at 30k miles though so I suspect I will need those items soon.

I don't think it's the wrist, as I used to get 48 consistently with the stock setup and have always done a fair amount of wrist twisting!  :wheel  The only think that is now different from stock is the airbox.

metalguru

It is possible with your set up that the mixture will need 'tailoring' to suit.
At 30k it is advisable to balance the throttle bodies and set the tolerances to suit the tune.
If you have not felt the need to use TuneEcu for this purpose then perhaps your friendly dealer could furnish you with the work.
Best to check the Idle Air Pipes too while the tank is off.     :thumbsup
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
1993 DR200
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
2 Crossers

Chris Canning

What I lost in low end with a 19t sprocket I gained with the airbox mod just means it just everything the same as stock with a higher top end just less revs what mine does to the gallon?? not a clue low 40's maybe? my idea of wringing the neck out of a Tiger has never tallied with any other that's for sure and I have never got much more than that with any of them.

The problem being the tiger was built years ago modern day motoring has moved on it's not about bikes per se it's about all road users with the advent that every man and his dog is driving a 200hp diesel car a stock geared Tiger now means your having revs the nuts off it to keep up never mind stay in front.

pxm

I've just done this mod but haven't gone for a test ride yet.
I removed the restriction using a chisel and mallet and it only took 15 mins.
The hardest part was getting the front tank bolt back in.

Actually, I have to remove it all again as I forgot to check the airbox is fitted under the lug at the front. It went back in OK so is it likely to be sitting above the lug?
I'd rather not have to remove tank and airbox if I don't have to.

Thank you to Chris for suggesting this mod. I'm looking forward to some more umph!
2004 Tiger 955i, 1972 Norton Commando 750 Fastback
2016 Yamaha Tracer 900