News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Upgraded Stator?

Started by RumRunnerGuy, November 19, 2015, 03:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RumRunnerGuy

Just picked up a New (to me) 05 Girly.  She hasn't had any charging system changes yet... She's putting out 14 volts at idle, and the voltage actually goes up a touch when I turn on the heated grips or directionals.  I would like to add riding lights, so I'm thinking going to a Mosfet RR is the first step. 

The question is do I need to upgrade the Stator as well?

benebob

Congrats on the bike.  i replaced the rectifier with the newest Shindengen Series regulator rather than a shut style.  A sparky I am not but with all the reading I did and the helpfulness of the www.roadstercycle.com site (and owner) I used the Triumph Harness out of a later Rocket 3 Part number #T2500676 which connects to the orignal wiring and then also to the new shindengen electrical connectors.  The bolt holes do not line up  so you would need to make a bracket to mount it to the original location.  I did buy my regulator from the roadstercycle as I was impressed with his site and the help it provided.  The part number is SH775.  If you'd rather use a dealer you can get it from polaris dealers as it is oem in one of their machines. 

As for the stator don't think I've seen any high output ones but could be wrong.  If you do find one post up as my charging is a little on the pour side recently so I think my stator is giving up the ghost. 
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

Quote from: benebob on November 22, 2015, 02:21:55 AM
I used the Triumph Harness out of a later Rocket 3 Part number #T2500676 which connects to the orignal wiring and then also to the new shindengen electrical connectors.

BTW... that part T2500676 is under $10USD at BikeBandit:

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2012-triumph-street-triple/o/m154263#sch740194

Part #16

Thanks for the info BeneBob!

benebob

Yeah, not pricey at all.  All said and done the swap was pretty painless and about 110 or so for the new reg/rec and the harness.  Wish I could say the system was working better but I guess I will need to do the sas. mod on mine.  Batter only gets to about 13.3 or so volts charging, the ohms and voltage test of the stator on mine test fine.  Only an issue for me when I run the heated grips or my fan kicks in for an extended period but still it shouldn't be doing that.  Not stealing your thread with my probs by the way.

99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

JoeDirt

I found some information on the Shindegen website. These guys make the "upgrade" rectifier/regulator.

https://www.shindengen.co.jp/product_e/electro/reg.html

It does explain the differences between the old, new, and newer rectifiers. Triumph has used the latest version on newer production bikes.

benebob

Not quite Joe, Newer Triumphs or at least the Rocket use the Fh0200aa but not the sh775 to my knowledge.  The sh775 is from everything I read  light years above the shunt style rr in that it only asks the stator for the power it needs rather than taking it all and loosing the rest thru heat (which is what tends to burn them up in the long run).  Again, I'm limited in my knowledge but I can go out and touch my rectifier without going ouch.  Must be good right :)    Oh and so right now I am getting 13.2 at idle on the batter and 14.1 to .2 at idle measured at the 2 brown/2 black wire connector.  It does not change at all aside from a quick dip when running with the cooling fan, my heated grips, 2 40w aux lights, the high beams and also the hazards.  It does dip a bit to 13.9 on my cheap meter when you rev it.  Not seeing those 14.9 that everyone else sees with the mods.

Oh and with that harness you have 2 8-10awg wires (brown and black) coming out of the connector that attaches to the rectifier (which then splits into 4 before the next connector so it does appear that when I do my sas. mod I don't need to splice 3 wires just the fuse holder and the one wire coming out.
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

To go back to the original question, I'm not aware of anyone making an upgraded stator.  As for the reg rec, the OEM, in my experience, was only ever good for about 13.5v.  I never saw 14v on mine and I've had it from 4k  miles onwards.  As soon as I fitted the MOSFET I had 14.7vor there abouts.  I've not fitted the Sasquatch mode because there is enough volts available without it, although I noticed that the latest from Eletrex World bypasses the loom and connects to the battery as the Sas mod does.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

benebob

I was with you Bix until my bike didn't start yesterday.  Granted i think it was 1/2 charging and 1/2 Lithium batter being cold but.  I would love to see 14.7 out of my system anywhere and I have what most would say is a better regulator/rec then yours.  Looks like the mod it is.  Ordered myself a maxi fuse holder today.  It claims to be a 6 gauge wire so should be as good of quality as I can get (plan to use 10 on either side of it as that is what the harness is.
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Did you give it a chance??

The Lithium batteries don't like the cold and need to be warmed up.  The makers recommend switching the lights on and off several times to get the battery working.  Either that or crank, then rest fro a minute or two, thencrank again.  The battery should do the reverse of an acid battery (as long as it's in good condition) and crank better the more you try.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: benebob on November 22, 2015, 07:00:19 PM
Not quite Joe, Newer Triumphs or at least the Rocket use the Fh0200aa but not the sh775 to my knowledge.  The sh775 is from everything I read  light years above the shunt style rr in that it only asks the stator for the power it needs rather than taking it all and loosing the rest thru heat (which is what tends to burn them up in the long run)

According to Jack at Roadster Cycle he recommended staying with the FH020AA over the SH775.

JoeDirt

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 23, 2015, 03:45:02 AMAccording to Jack at Roadster Cycle he recommended staying with the FH020AA over the SH775.

I have the FH020AA on order along with the T2500676 harness. I'm out $42 USD for both... to try it. I already have the Sasquatch mod in place. I used a connector off my old harness with my sasquatch mod so it should just plug in. :thumbsup

benebob

Quote from: RumRunnerGuy on November 23, 2015, 03:45:02 AM

According to Jack at Roadster Cycle he recommended staying with the FH020AA over the SH775.

Why is that.  He and many others gave me the opposite advice last spring.
13 Tiger 800

RumRunnerGuy

Quote from: benebob on November 23, 2015, 02:35:18 PM
Why is that.  He and many others gave me the opposite advice last spring.

He said that he felt more comfortable with the older one since out of over 5000 that he sold he only has had 3ever have a problem.