News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Change mileage on speedometer

Started by ghulst, November 21, 2015, 12:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

LOL, nope. For two reasons really. The drill can be fixed in position, which means I don't need cable ties. Oh, and I don't really know much Dixie. ;)

So, corresponding mileage on both speedos. Only took a couple of days annoying the neighboring garages. Luckily ours are at the back of the garden, so you don't hear it from the house. ;)

Spot the difference. Oh, a counter reset thingy! Awesome. Now I'll know beforehand that the tank is going to be empty. ;)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

It isn't translated. It's called dixie here as well. But it isn't that popular. ;)

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on November 29, 2015, 10:07:58 PM
What's Dixie in Dutch?

I think it's the same the world over  :icon_wink:

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

your new one goes to 320 kph .............does it need a different drive to be accurate or can you use the tiger drive .
also some models require the speedo cable to turn opposite direction of Tiger drive .
you may need to find what model the speedo is from and get the correct drive

ghulst

Quote from: Mustang on November 29, 2015, 10:31:21 PM
your new one goes to 320 kph .............does it need a different drive to be accurate or can you use the tiger drive .
also some models require the speedo cable to turn opposite direction of Tiger drive .

Crap :) Didn't even see that. We'll see. I'll have to calibrate it with a GPS to see whether that works then.

Stupid mistake. Bought it off a guy that had it with a stack of Tiger parts, so we both assumed it was a Tiger part...

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: Mustang on November 29, 2015, 10:31:21 PM

So you could've mounted it to the bike and then watched it wind itself down???    :ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

ghulst

It's the middle of the night here now, but I almost feel like rolling out the Tiger to check it.

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

ghulst

LOL, nope, sorry. Got some stuff to arrange and then to bed, because my first meeting tomorrow is at 8am...

ghulst

Ok, with dark, rainy and very stormy days, plus a busy schedule and some flu thrown in for good measure, I haven't had a chance to check the speedometer up until today.

So, I rolled the Tiger out of the garage for its maiden run with the new speedo and it took some time to start it up. Well, no fuel in the carbs etc. after three weeks of doing nothing, so that is explainable. After I did get it fired up, I mounted my iPhone with my Hitcase on the handlebars and rode off. And...

Nothing.

Nothing moved for at least 150 meters after which, all of a sudden the speedo came to life and worked absolutely fine. Apparently the connection for the Tiger is exactly the same as for the Sprint 900 that I figure this speedo comes from. So, it gives the correct speed, it counts the mileage fine and so you know exactly when you are speeding. *ahem*

So, if ever your speedo packs in and all you can get is a Sprint 900 speedo. Go for it. It also makes your Tiger the coolest on the block, as people will look at the speedo to see how fast it will go. Well, mine will do 320km/h now. ;)

JoeDirt

Quote from: ghulst on December 12, 2015, 12:14:53 PM
So, if ever your speedo packs in and all you can get is a Sprint 900 speedo. Go for it. It also makes your Tiger the coolest on the block, as people will look at the speedo to see how fast it will go. Well, mine will do 320km/h now. ;)

That's just shy of 200mph... I think you'll have to check the weather first and get a good start in the Alps. :wheel

Sin_Tiger

It's tempting to do just for the fun of it  :icon_mrgreen: please post a photo of that. Not at 200 mph of course  :nono
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

ghulst

I have yet to ride it over 180km/h...   :icon_rolleyes:

ghulst

Crap, now the whole thing has packed in. :( It does not show any speed when I ride. Any tips on quick checks what my problem is? I guess pull it off the speedo and turn the wheel to see whether it spins, right?
Any other suggestions?