News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Callin all clever clogs ;-)

Started by KuzzinKenny, November 25, 2015, 01:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ned37

you can still test it using volts, just not as well.  hook the meter up with the panel connected to a battery in bright sun and watch needle closely as you shade panel the needle will show a slight deflection.
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

Bixxer Bob

Happy for any of the electrical experts to correct me if I'm wrong, but my limited knowledge suggests to me that the volts setting will only test whether there are volts coming out of the panel.  It won't show whether the panel has high resistance to reverse current when the panel output drops below the battery.  It's when the panel current drops below the battery that the battery begins to discharge into the panel (which may hard the panel or even risk a fire) which is what Kenny wants to avoid.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Bixxer Bob

Hey Kenny,  you could use one of these to be sure:

http://www.eachbuyer.com/solar-regulator-controller-panel-charger-battery-regulator-12v-24v-30a-p37974.html?utm_source=affiliate&utm_medium=EDM&utm_campaign=spead_mail_20151123

Connect the solar panel output to the (funnily enough) solar panel input,  the battery to "battery" and you can even have a power output.  anything you connect to this will draw on the panel if there's enough output, or the battery if there's not.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...