News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Search Engines

Started by nickjtc, December 08, 2015, 05:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

Just curious.

What do you guys use for your favourite search engine, online? With all this cyber-tracking conspiracy stuff going on, I wonder if there is any way to search for something and not be bombarded with peripheral ads and what-not trying to sell you what you are looking for.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

John Stenhouse

Change the browser, I use Firefox and don't get bombarded with anything except for Amazon who send me e mails for stuff I don't  buy everyday.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

iansoady

This may well be censored but if you use adblocker and ghostery you won't be bothered with ads and no-one will be tracking the sites you visit.

Of course adblocker can be suppressed for sites you want to support like this one.

The only drawback is that some sites (particularly e-commerce ones) need certain trackers to operate correctly.

Oh, and use a browser such as firefox or chrome that isn't tied into microsoft.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

nickjtc

All good stuff. Thank you.

Not being particularly computer-literate anything helps!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JoeDirt

Funny,

I just started using Goggle's Chrome and recently downloaded Firefox to try it out.

I do not like Chrome's bookmarks and I don't like that you can't change the bookmark icons. I have been using Firefox for a short time and the bookmarks are a bit more intuitive.

If you are using IE or Chrome... I strongly suggest the AD Blocker. It's free now but it blocks advertisements from loading on eBay and Facebook. eBay used to not have advertisements because it is paid for by the seller's auctions. Now, it's almost unsearchable because of their profit margins. Nice business model eBay!

Irony, the Ad Block people will never advertise their product because it will block itself. :hello2

iansoady

I'm actually using Flashpeak slimjet which sits on top of the chrome engine as like you I didn't like chrome's handling of bookmarks. Slimjet displays them like firefox does but it seems much faster (on my antique computer) than firefox.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KuzzinKenny

I had Google Chrome on me computer a while ago but as its an old machine and chrome is constantly bloody updatin  :icon_rolleyes: i eventually got rid of it as it just kept on lockin up me computer  :icon_evil:

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly