News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Front Forks Query

Started by London_Phil, December 03, 2015, 07:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

Hi All.
Realised whilst following the boards that in the nearly 15 years (15YEARS!!!!) Ive owned my Tigger I have never touched the front forks/fork oil.
Shamefull I know, even with the  low use it gets.
So,
Ordered a 2nd hand set from the Fleabay with Hagon springs (allegedly) in good nick, working on the assumption mine will probably be in poor nick under the gaiters.
I see that the early Tigers had a different type, but it seems the forks on the later tigers and early Girlies are the same. Can someone comment on this, and if so, for an low use rider looking for a basic set up, does the ATF oil etc that seems to be in the Girly threads apply.
There doesn't appear to be a Steamer front fork how to, do we need to address this?.
regards

Phil

Sin_Tiger

15 years and you haven't written up a "Forks How To" shameful indeed.

It's been done in dribs and drabs, it's years since I did it and I don't have any photos. Volunteer to write this up that has all the info to hand, Karma is waiting.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 03, 2015, 09:32:52 PM
Volunteer to write this up that has all the info to hand, Karma is waiting.

As are Nick, Bob, Kenny, Mustang, Niall, et al  :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

London_Phil

Ok, so I stripped out one fork today.

Now looking for opinions..

Under the gaiters, the sliders were in extremely good condition (Image 5)
Oil was clear and golden when emptied, until the last drains, when it went grey ( Image 3)
When cap was removed, there was very little compression, but in Image 1, you can see a long spacer, is that standard?
Spring is 543mm in length, and evenly wound, so no progressive action I assume, (Image 4)
Having already pulled the trigger on a replacement set, I think that these are too good to replace completely, so plan is to fit the replacement unit springs, if they are indeed Hagon, and refill with ATF, which seems to be the recommendation from Sasquatch, which I am strongly minded to take.
Not going to be a full rebuild, as they are too good to disturb, I feel, and I can play with The American Grandad DirtBike you might notice in Image 2

Regards

Phil

ned37

in all my years of rebuilding forks, i have never seen oil like that come out of them.  ???
95 blue steamer
04 husaberg fe650e

London_Phil

It drained clear until the last few cl. I can only assume its the accumulated muck from at least 15 years of never being touched, (oh the shame...)
Hey ho. Wonder if i should rinse it out with some cheap Dexron I have from my old T25 auto  VW days.
Failing that, what do you rinse them with, if your not stripping them down?

JayDub

My Triumph service manual says that's the right set-up... with the spacer tube  :nod
Can't find a measurement for the wear limit tho  :^_^

Bixxer Bob

You could do with rinsing that crud out fo the bottom because it can interfere with the damping.  When mine came out like that I whipped the damper assy out and flushed the bottom casings out properly with white spirit then dried thoroughly before re-assembling them with a light coating of oil.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: London_Phil on December 06, 2015, 05:52:52 PM
Wonder if i should rinse it out with some cheap Dexron I have from my old T25 auto  VW days.

Definately but I would really open it up to clean everything now that it's been disturbed.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on December 06, 2015, 11:13:08 PM
Definately but I would really open it up to clean everything now that it's been disturbed.

+1. Lots of nooks and crannies down there

fishnbiker

Quote from: ned37 on December 06, 2015, 05:32:17 PM
in all my years of rebuilding forks, i have never seen oil like that come out of them.  ???

I change my oil every year. Looks fairly normal. The longer the bike sits before draining, the more the sludge separates.

ATF sounds a bit thin ... 5w?

I use a 50/50 mix of 10w & 15w with 650cc per side for pavement & gravel 50/50 riding.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

nickjtc

Quote from: fishnbiker on December 07, 2015, 02:21:44 AM
ATF sounds a bit thin ... 5w?
I use a 50/50 mix of 10w & 15w with 650cc per side for pavement & gravel 50/50 riding.

:occasion14 Here we go................ :icon_wink:

London_Phil

Update..
Replacement forks arrived today. look slightly poorer cosmetically than my originals, but clean and straight sliders. Springs are progressive, and are as long as the original plus the spacer, with W11 in white on them.
Plan is to rinse the original forks, fit the prog springs and use ATF oil.
Will strip replacements, and possibly get the lowers powder coated black, then rebuild and replace at a later date.
I do low mileage, and no real offroad, so its all probably overkill.
Anyone know if the W11 marking on the springs means anything??

Regards

Phil