News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

To be (OEM exhaust), or not to b, that is the question....

Started by nickjtc, December 28, 2015, 09:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickjtc

There is an on-going thread in the Steamer section about a source for 'less expensive' aftermarket exhaust cans and their pros and cons. Noise seems to be the big deterrent to us mature folk, but some like the manliness of a throatier (aka noisier) exhaust.

Every time I go in to the garage I look at the stock exhaust for the Roadie, hanging on the wall (it came with the bike). The bike is wearing a Leo Vince after market one at the moment.

So...... apart from taking the bike to a dynamometer (none hereabouts) to find out the truth, how much of a power gain can be expected from after market?? I feel the urge to put the stock can back on and flog the Leo Vince....
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

the yoshimura cans I  have for a steamer do nothing but make noise .
my seat of the pants dyno says OEM might actually be just a tad faster , but I am biased against  noise anyway .

my friends T Bird sport with similarly specked engine as tiger (same bhp) has TOR's on it .
Tigger 2 is OEM

it's a dead heat in the rolling start 1/4 mile

Sin_Tiger

I had the TOR loaded at first service, that sorted the slight snatching just off throttle and did as much for the power spread as anything. The Zard (carbon high level) was about 1/4 the weight of the stock can but more importantly it allowed me to modify the pannier racks (SW Motech not Triumph) for equal spacing. I only ever rode it out once without the baffle and straight home to put it back in  :icon_eek: Don't get me wrong it sounded great and well suited to the engine but I felt so embarrassed riding it in a built up area. It did make a noticeable difference above 5k rpm with WOT but at the expense of tractability up to 3.5k. With the baffle in it was civilised unless you got silly but if I'd kept her I'd have had a go at progressively welding up the baffle holes one by one, a full day on the motorway could get tireing.

Remember the 1050 engine is basically the same as that used in the Speed T, so it's a hooligan engine that was detuned for the Sprint and the Tiger and it works well in all those, which is a testament to the design but how often and long are you going to spend over 6k?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Bixxer Bob

Having taken my Blue Flame off after denting it, I've rediscovered why I like my Girly so much.  The original is way quieter.  I liked the BF round town because it had a great rasp on full throttle, but it was wearing on a long run.  I reckon I'm down 3-4bhp as the 19T front sprocket is more noticeable now.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

AndyT

I've got a TOR silencer in it's Triumph box if anyone wants it, it was only used for a short time and came with the bike but I haven't used it. Let me know if you'd like to own it.
If at first you don't succeed ... then skydiving is not for you :)

Lee337

Put a TOR silencer on my Girly, didn't notice any difference in performance or MPG. In fact the only difference I could find was the noise. Had the TOR map uploaded before I put the can on as even with the standard can, it ran better, so I put the standard one back on.

Maybe I'm getting old, but I think I prefer the quieter bike and it can still roar if I'm a bit heavy on the twist grip.
No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid.

Bixxer Bob

Agreed. I used to like the fruity Blue Flame can, but eventually I put the original back on because I was doing a LOT of motorway miles at the time and it was just annoying.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...