News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Looking for original fairing bolts and fairing frame T400

Started by ghulst, January 08, 2016, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

I suspect the frame underneath my fairing to be less than perfect. So, I am interested to find a good one. If you have one lying around, I would like to know. ;)

Also, I am looking for the full set of original bolts for the front fairings. Used is ok, I would really appreciate the rubber rings with them. Mine came without the complete set.

Thanks!
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

I don't want to see you waste your money so I have to say something. I've had 5 of these support frames out now and not one of them was straight. If not from a drop then I suspect many get forced when owners try to get the fairings lined up with the screw holes. And unless someone is going to ship it to you in a wooden box, then there's a good chance it will get bent in transit, they're not the strongest of things as I'm sure you already know.

I'd suggest that you take yours off, look for cracked welds and then look at any areas the paint has flaked off, that would suggest a bend in that area. Lay it down on the headlamp end and take measurements, with a bit of patience you can get it pretty close to original. When you come to refit the plastics, be sure they are warm as they will have settled to conform to the original frame shape, forcing them to line up will probably just bend the frame again.

As for used screws, best just getting a set from Triumph. The rubber washers don't last much more than 2-3 years before they go hard or perish, used ones of unknown age may not last long.

How that doesn't read like a lecture, money doesn't grow on trees but the advice is free.  :hat10
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

:iagree with him ↑ ↑ ↑

I couldn't find new bolts anywhere, Jack Lilley's told me they were not stocked any more.
As for the rubber washers, I found tap/plumbing washers were just the job if using replacement stainless M5 (or are they M6?) screws, but to use with the original shouldered screws I had to enlarge the hole with a sharp drill bit. - the rubber is harder too and seem to be lasting well.
"When I was younger I could remember anything, whether it happened, or not."

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Thanks Nick, but I have replaced the fairing subframe a couple of weeks ago when I changed the radiator. I also found a set of bolts on eBay. Not as sturdy as the original Triumph ones, but fine for the fairing (tested them at 140km/h+) and they are nice and black.
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

Sin_Tiger

Consider using black nylon washers instead of rubber which often only last a few months before they start to crack and split.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 31, 2017, 11:15:04 PM
Consider using black nylon washers instead of rubber which often only last a few months before they start to crack and split.
Where would I find black nylon washers Sin? Mine came with a few clear ones but not enough.

JayDub

bemusedinsojo

Sin_Tiger

Damn, my secret is out now  :^_^ no need to feel sheepish (plenty of them in Wales  :augie ) I've lost count of the times I've had Google shoved in my face with someone saying "there you go"  :icon_rolleyes:

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 02, 2017, 01:57:44 AM
Damn, my secret is out now  :^_^ no need to feel sheepish (plenty of them in Wales  :augie ) I've lost count of the times I've had Google shoved in my face with someone saying "there you go"  :icon_rolleyes:
You leave our girls alone jock!  :icon_mad:

bemusedinsojo

"I was only helping the sheep over the fence officer." :augie