News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Headlight stylish upgrade

Started by jp7rgv, January 31, 2016, 08:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Are you handy with tools?  Hang on, you have a Triumph, you have to be....

Cut two pieces of acrylic (colour of choice) to shape using headlight as a template (not literally, use a bit of cardboard but you get the idea...).

This is the tricky bit; take a mould from the headlight in plaster or body repair putty (cover the light with clingfilm, apply putty,let dry).

Take a sample of acrylic and experiment with temperature in the kitchen oven (best when the wife isn;t home).

When you're happy youhave it pliable, drop shaped peices into mould and heat.

The velcro-style atttachement tabs are easily available on Ebay.

We used to do this for one-off acrylic mouldings all the time in the old workshop days, I just can't remember the best temperature.

One word of warning; one chap put his acrylic in the oven just after we'd been cooking aluminium rivets, then forgot and went for his lunch.  When he got back he remembered, opened the oven but the acrylic had vapourised.  The vapour and heat met the cold and oxygen and a momentary fireball ensued, neatly removing his eyelashes, eyebrows and the hair sticking out from the front of his cap.  He had a bit of a suntan and a very surprised look for a couple of weeks.  :ImaPoser
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

motoOzarks

For all the talk about people upgrading their lights it seems odd to cover them up.
Looks good matching with the screen.

Reminds me of my story of learning how to use either to blow tubeless tractor tires back on the bead.

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

jp7rgv

Bixerbob thanks for the tips.
Moto0zarks you didn't understand.
I am thinking for a stylish upgrade not better lighting.
Also I have heard about a film that it transparents with lights on.
Anyway the led lens are an expensive but interesting idea but they make only round I think,  so they don't fit

Sin_Tiger

You could add an LED "angel eye" ring around the outside if that's what turns you on. There are videos on YouTube to show you how using clear acrylic rod. Won't impair your lights or affect your bodywork and cam can be easily removed if Mr Policeman doesn't like it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

jp7rgv

Thanks sin but angel eyes don't seem nice on tiger (just my thought)
It seems that restyling tiger headlights is a tricky mod due their elliptical shape of them.

JoeDirt

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 02, 2016, 11:16:11 PM
You could add an LED "angel eye" ring around the outside if that's what turns you on. There are videos on YouTube to show you how using clear acrylic rod. Won't impair your lights or affect your bodywork and cam can be easily removed if Mr Policeman doesn't like it.

I am not into the "angel eye" look... but that video was very informative. :thumbsup

Sin_Tiger

:iagree wouldn't be my choice either but sometimes one idea leads to another and before you know it you're watching cat videos :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on February 04, 2016, 04:55:56 PM
:iagree wouldn't be my choice either but sometimes one idea leads to another and before you know it you're watching cat videos :icon_scratch:
:ImaPoser
So its not just me then... have you seen the one with the monkey and... ooh erm, sorry :icon_redface:

Sin_Tiger

JoeDirt

motoOzarks

Those tinted lenses look good with matching dark screen.  I agree.

I'm in complete understanding. 

Make sure you don't end up on somebody's hood because they couldn't see your dimmed out lights.

Unless you find that stylish
Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

jp7rgv

Sin_Tiger

Good find Joe  :thumbsup

MO is right though, day time is when dozy drivers are less likely to see you, ride vigilant  :icon_eek:

jp7rgv

Yes I know sin,  but it was an ironic answer to an ironic question.

The tinted protectors are really nice with matching screen color, BUT only useable if the material transparents when lights on.

Somewhere I have seen a product like this but cannot remember where.

JoeDirt