News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Number plate theft

Started by GavD, January 31, 2016, 08:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GavD

Hey guys,

Wondering what your thoughts were on this;

Went out to the car this morning to find both number plates gone.

Kids messing about, or someone looking for a legit reg number to put on something a bit dodgy?

Reported it to the police in case we start getting parking fines/speeding fines coming through. If you were looking for a number to copy why would you actually steal the plates, as it will obviously be reported to the police, surely you'd just make a note of the reg number and get some plates made up from a backstreet/internet plate maker.

Whoever it was, it really got my goat this morning, and halfords are £40 better off!!
'98 Steamer (Black of course), '18 BMW R NineT Urban G/S

JayDub

Usually they're picked up on route to a 'job' therefore mission accomplished before you notice/report it, and the police have finished scratching thier nuts... it shouldn't be a problem to you as you reported the theft pronto, also used to move an uninsured/un taxed car without being picked up on reg recognition cams
b*stards!... and people wonder why number plates are disguised when showing your vehicle on t'internet.

*My neighbour works in police traffic div BTW

GavD

Cheers JD,

hopefully nothing too much will come from it.

fraserdog

My partner had her number plates pinched off her Focus last year while it was parked on the drive,it turned out a few days later they were used for a garage drive away petrol theft.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

nickjtc

They get lifted here primarily to stick on a stolen vehicle which is going to be used for some nefarious activity. Fortunately, only $18 to replace.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: fraserdog on January 31, 2016, 11:11:21 PM
My partner had her number plates pinched off her Focus last year while it was parked on the drive,it turned out a few days later they were used for a garage drive away petrol theft.

That seems to be the most common reason. Does seem a bit strange on the IOW though as you can't get on or off the island without getting recorded on CCTV so it would be of limited use. I suggest you carry a coy of your V5 with you at all times, not left in the vehicle I might add.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

GavD

Update;

Visit from the boys in blue tonight, seems the plates were knicked about 7pm, put on a same model & colour car, driven to a local farm where they pinched a car trailer. High tailed it to a ferry, paid in cash, gave a false name. Front plate fell off at the ferry port and the police have it. CCTV shows a couple in their 50's, the bloke went to the desk wearing a cap to hide his face.
B'strds

Nick Calne

Might just catch them yet...
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

nickjtc

You have to admire (not!!) the nerve of these people, especially when we know that we are potentially under surveillance many times a day.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"